Nuclear Medicine --> Radiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mgdsh

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to throw a hypothetical question.

I'm a US IMG who is really interested in Rads but my scores aren't really what they require. I've passed my exams on the first attempt and am a pretty decent candidate for most residency programs aside from the ultra competitve ones.

My question is this.... (I know that it could be hard finding a Radiology position after doing Nuclear Medicine down the road just due to compensation issues based on the length of your residency.... but....) if I was willing to do a Nuclear Medicine residency at a good program while doing some research and then say if I was to get a Rads position I would accept a lower salary, or even take an unpaid residency position for 1-2 out of the 4 years. Do I honestly have a chance at doing something like that or should I go ahead and pursue my second love (Heme/Onc)?

Thanks for any opinions. I know it sounds a little crazy to be willing to work for free, but I've heard of similar situations in Plastic Surgery residencies (accepting lower compensations).

Members don't see this ad.

You'd better check with ACGME but I am pretty sure no program will allow you to work for free.

Additionally, you need to remember that nuclear medicine residency is now 4 years in duration (including the intern year).

That may be true at your program, but board scores will definitely matter, no matter when you apply for rads.