~~~~~ Nsu - Com Class Of 2009 ~~~~~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
mandar said:
I am going to be at NSU this fall.

Congrats and welcome.

You'll be happy with your decision. I just couldn't in good conscience give you a candy-coated, life is peachy type of review.

If you'll excuse me, it's been a long day. I took a nap at the pool for a few hours, went to a beach party, and just returned from celebrating a friend's birthday in downtown Fort Lauderdale.

Class in 5 hours? Doubtful. :laugh:

NS

Members don't see this ad.

mandar said:
Hey Guys,
I have made up my mind and finally nail this down.

Notshorty and OmedDoc: thanks for the support

I am going to be at NSU this fall.

It was a pretty tough decision to decide between two good schools and I am sure lot of people on this forum went through the same experience.
What swing my decision in favor of NSU was the big school environment. I went to ug school which was big (around 40k students), took post Bacc. classes at a big school so i may be more comfortable at a big school.

Looking forward to seeing you all in fall.

Mandar

CONGRATULATIONS!! 4.5 months till the journey begins for all of us :thumbup:

The decision has been made. I am going to attend NSU! I look forward to meeting all of you cool kids in (or soon to be in) South Florida!

I have a couple questions regarding the acceptance letter from Vice Chancellor for Student Services and Professional Coordination Marla Frohlinger:
1) When do we receive the NSU tuition invoice?
2) It says that transcripts must be received by the Office of Admissions 90 calendar days from the date of registration. When is the date of registration?

One more thing... I just found out that I got a 4-year U.S. Navy scholarship (HPSP). Any current students having the military pay for med school via HPSP? If so, I've got questions for you... Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there one apartment complex where the majority of students are staying? If so could you please list those?

Also, what do the current students typically pay for rent in that area with financial aid?

Wow I didn't know Puff Daddy was going to NSU. HAHAHA, sorry I couldn't resist.

Hey you guy's that paid your deposit by CC, how long b4 they ran it?

Doc 2b said:

Uh oh, paid a stripper named Cinnamon to stay the night, did we? :laugh:

j/k

They run 'em pretty quick if I recall. I'd wager no more than a few business days. If you're running into a credit limit prob, I'd get on it ASAP. If possible, you may want to get a credit card with 0% interest for balance transfers.

NS

Doc 2b said:

It's been about a week and a half for me since Linda did my cc deposit. Just today I see that the payment was approved, but not yet transferred (ie: reduction in available credit w/o actually charging the card). Hope that helps.

Oh, and I guess it goes w/o saying that I'll be in next years' class now. Cheers.

tag_do said:
It's been about a week and a half for me since Linda did my cc deposit. Just today I see that the payment was approved, but not yet transferred (ie: reduction in available credit w/o actually charging the card). Hope that helps.

Oh, and I guess it goes w/o saying that I'll be in next years' class now. Cheers.
Its finally time that you admit what we knew all along. :) I look forward to August, meeting everyone, and all that it will bring. :)

Alright Guys,

I finally paid the final deposit (out of pocket OUCHHHH!). Somewhat close the deadline but hey its done. I hope all of you were able to get it in.

Talk to you later...

Yeah that 1250 sucked!

I think they are giong to perpetually hold onto my check and enjoy looking at the leopard print offset by my wonderful handwriting...they have had it for two weeks and still haven't cashed it. I'm convinced it is a trophy on someones desk. :)

they do seem to take a while to cash those checks...

Members don't see this ad :)
whats goin on guys? i cant believe i just found out about this forum. ive known that i was going to go to nsucom since november, and only now i find this message board! now that i finally quit my job, i can get back into the mindset of going to med school next year. anyways, my name is kinjal, im 23 and from chicago. i was wondering where everyone was planning on living. Palm Trace Apartments seem to be the nicest, while Cedar Key are definitely nice and really close to campus. It would be fun if all of us M1's lived near each other next year. anyways... i cant wait to get out of cold a$$ chicago and into florida's sunny weather!

Kinjal350z said:
whats goin on guys? i cant believe i just found out about this forum. ive known that i was going to go to nsucom since november, and only now i find this message board! now that i finally quit my job, i can get back into the mindset of going to med school next year. anyways, my name is kinjal, im 23 and from chicago. i was wondering where everyone was planning on living. Palm Trace Apartments seem to be the nicest, while Cedar Key are definitely nice and really close to campus. It would be fun if all of us M1's lived near each other next year. anyways... i cant wait to get out of cold a$$ chicago and into florida's sunny weather!
Hello and welcome.

I am going to be a MS-1 next year and my roomate and I are both from Indiana. We are targeting to be about 10-15 minutes away from campus. During an analysis of factors that were most important to us in an apartment (that amazingly predicted our #1 choice in apts), the places closest to campus didn't even come up on our list of top 20 places to visit.

I'm going to quit mumbling now--welcome, it will be good to meet everyone next year. I can't wait for July1 to be here....(as that is when I will be in our new apt). :)

Kinjal350z said:

Hey Kinjal,
Welcome to NSUCOM 2009 class forum. I am also going to be MS1 at NSUCOM this fall. I am from indianapolis and very often used to go to chicago for clubing when I was a ug student at Purdue.
I am jealous of you that you could quit your job :smuggrin: . I wish i could do that, I am working on a project and have to complete that before I quit. But man it so hard to focus on work after you have come to know that you have been accepted to school.
I am inclining towards Cedar key apartments, how much i would have loved living away from campus, I am kind of lazy bump in the morning and scared that if I live away from campus I may run late for my morning classes. So i am thinking of sticking to the ones close to campus.
I will PM you if I am in Chicago any time soon.

Mandar

kaikai128 said:
Hello and welcome.

I am going to be a MS-1 next year and my roomate and I are both from Indiana. We are targeting to be about 10-15 minutes away from campus. During an analysis of factors that were most important to us in an apartment (that amazingly predicted our #1 choice in apts), the places closest to campus didn't even come up on our list of top 20 places to visit.

I'm going to quit mumbling now--welcome, it will be good to meet everyone next year. I can't wait for July1 to be here....(as that is when I will be in our new apt). :)
Just to let you know all of my friends that chose to live that far away from campus truly wish they lived right next to school. The places next to school are okay and not really much pricier than places you'll find at a distance.

Just thought i'd throw in my 2 cents from personal experience. when you're in class all day, everyday, the last thing you want to do is be stuck in traffic for 20-30 minutes during rush hour.

My roommate and I are on the wait list for Cedar Key, we got on it in January so we hope that we'll be one of the lucky ones that get an apartment...anyone know if anyone has been unfortuante and never made it off the wait list?

Also, I'm moving from PA and at first I was thinking about U-Hauling all my stuff (furniture, bed, dresser, desks, yada yada) with me, but now I think I'll save the U-Haul money and buy new (or used) when I get to FL. Are there usually a lot of graduating students looking to get rid of stuff, or any good furniture stores nearby campus?

Thanks,
Sharon Lee

HoodyHoo said:
Just to let you know all of my friends that chose to live that far away from campus truly wish they lived right next to school. The places next to school are okay and not really much pricier than places you'll find at a distance.

Just thought i'd throw in my 2 cents from personal experience. when you're in class all day, everyday, the last thing you want to do is be stuck in traffic for 20-30 minutes during rush hour.
Thanks for the warning.

I am sure those are nice apartment complexes, but Cedar Keys didn't even list 3br apts (and we won't look at anything smaller)..and Palm Trace is about 300-400/mo more expensive for same sq footage to be 10 minutes closer to school--with floor plans that don't work near as well for us on top of it. We have VERY specific things that we were looking for and made our decision based upon twenty factors that were weighted and calculated based upon our own personal preferences. MUCH thought has been put into this decision (probably much more than most ppl).

I actually think I (meaning my roomie) spent more time analyzing which apratment complex to live in than I did which school to go to or who to live with--I think I'm covered on this one. :)

Thanks again! :)

kaikai128 said:
Thanks for the warning.

I am sure those are nice apartment complexes, but Cedar Keys didn't even list 3br apts (and we won't look at anything smaller)..and Palm Trace is about 300-400/mo more expensive for same sq footage to be 10 minutes closer to school--with floor plans that don't work near as well for us on top of it. We have VERY specific things that we were looking for and made our decision based upon twenty factors that were weighted and calculated based upon our own personal preferences. MUCH thought has been put into this decision (probably much more than most ppl).

I actually think I (meaning my roomie) spent more time analyzing which apratment complex to live in than I did which school to go to or who to live with--I think I'm covered on this one. :)

Thanks again! :)

WOW, in that case..................no advice needed. as long as you're happy with the driving then you will be fine....anyway, good lu

Anyone that is planning on buying, here is my realtors number. When I started looking I called the Housing office and they said that she was the only person they recommended so here you go.

Renee Ricci - (%$-347-0731

Just a heads up from a current 2nd year.. Some of the nicest, safest apartments and cheapest are at Davie Crossings...

People do not realize they are there, they are off colege ave. right behind school.

It takes me 1 min. to drive to school and I never get on University (traffic) Drive.

I live in a 1200 sq. ft. 3 bedroom for only 1200 a month....

Good luck to everyone finding a place

HoodyHoo said:
WOW, in that case..................no advice needed. as long as you're happy with the driving then you will be fine....anyway, good lu
Guess maybe I came acrossed a bit harsh. I was just trying to get acrossed the point that not everyone likes to live on top of campus and on top of a whole bunch of other ppl who are in all your classes.

...I guess I am a bit more analytical in my decision process and I just don't understand how anyone could possibly make a decision on where to live based upon seeing (or not even seeing) one or two places. Regardless, happy hunting everyone.

kaikai128 said:
Guess maybe I came acrossed a bit harsh. I was just trying to get acrossed the point that not everyone likes to live on top of campus and on top of a whole bunch of other ppl who are in all your classes.

...I guess I am a bit more analytical in my decision process and I just don't understand how anyone could possibly make a decision on where to live based upon seeing (or not even seeing) one or two places. Regardless, happy hunting everyone.

hey Kai kai

since you have done the research do you mind sharing your apartment picks with us?

i have no idea where to start, my main objective is comfort
i would rather spend more each month and be comfortable than try and save a 150$ and be distracted by my apt

gaud... i sure am glad i dont live on university or anywhere near nsu's campus. so much better, imo. i dont mind the driving time to get to school in the morning either, so i guess im an odd ball.

pine island is the way to go if u want less traffic yet still not too far away. im literally 5 min. away from my favorite stores (best buy, compusa, circuit city :)) sam's club, sawgrass mills mall, target, walmart, and 2 min from broward mall, publix and winn dixie.

pdiddy04 said:
since you have done the research do you mind sharing your apartment picks with us?

i have no idea where to start, my main objective is comfort
i would rather spend more each month and be comfortable than try and save a 150$ and be distracted by my apt

I started with Apartment Guide Online. I believe there are ~80 apartments listed in Broward County, and the search process is pretty easy to use.

Hope this helps.

for me, convenience is the most important thing. all i really looked for was my own room, bathroom, parking, and to be as close to school as possible. in undergrad, i was always a 5 minute walk from campus, and i never drove to school. so basically it would be easier for me just to stay close to campus. im sure that those of u who are putting in alot of thought and being very particular with what u want will have the nicest apartments of us all, so make sure to invite us to your cribs!

Sharon Lee said:
My roommate and I are on the wait list for Cedar Key, we got on it in January so we hope that we'll be one of the lucky ones that get an apartment...anyone know if anyone has been unfortuante and never made it off the wait list?

Also, I'm moving from PA and at first I was thinking about U-Hauling all my stuff (furniture, bed, dresser, desks, yada yada) with me, but now I think I'll save the U-Haul money and buy new (or used) when I get to FL. Are there usually a lot of graduating students looking to get rid of stuff, or any good furniture stores nearby campus?

Thanks,
Sharon Lee

im coming from chicago, and there is no way i would uhaul my stuff. like u said, it is an expensive process. im planning to move down at least one week early to bu my furniture and get adjusted. im hoping there is an ikea or something in the vicinity.

Kinjal350z said:
im coming from chicago, and there is no way i would uhaul my stuff. like u said, it is an expensive process. im planning to move down at least one week early to bu my furniture and get adjusted. im hoping there is an ikea or something in the vicinity.
Ah; I love Ikea...but sorry, there is NO Ikea in the entire state of FL. If you are set on them, I think you will be ordering online (but then the shipping rates kill you anyhow). Unfortunately the nearest Ikea to me is in Chicago, about 3 hours away so I don't visit often.

I don't know how expensive your furinture is that you currently have; but if anyone is wanting to hold onto it--regional carriers like Mayflower who go to FL from the Midwest often may be a better option than a U-Haul for moving. Also, I know there are several ppl (at least 4 from the top of my head) moving from the midwest--so sharing cost may be an idea also.

so me and my roommate were talking, and neither of us has anything to bring to the apartment, because I am coming from out of state, and he simply has nothing. what do you think we should do? we could maybe get a furnished apartment, but i think the rent would be super high. should we then rent or buy furniture? any stores you would reccomend?

Hi everyone, I applied to NSU a while back and I believe that my file was complete in December but I havnt heard a word. I have sent several emails with no response and called several times and left messages with no return phone calls. If I havnt heard anything yet does this mean that I dont have a chance? Does anyone know if the class is almost full or if they are even giving interviews anymore? Thanks .

brent311 said:
Hi everyone, I applied to NSU a while back and I believe that my file was complete in December but I havnt heard a word. I have sent several emails with no response and called several times and left messages with no return phone calls. If I havnt heard anything yet does this mean that I dont have a chance? Does anyone know if the class is almost full or if they are even giving interviews anymore? Thanks .
I have no clue what your chance is, if the class is full (but it wasn't a few weeks ago), etc; however, I do have advice. Call them again and again and again and don't leave messages because they don't generally return your calls. The admissions office seems to be severely understaffed (or they just don't like their voicemails). Call and keep calling until you get to talk to a real person...at least then you may get an idea of where you stand.

Good luck. :)

brent311 said:

Brent,
It took a while for NSU to give me an interview or even look at my file. I was complete sometime in october and didn't heard a word from them till almost end of january. I was getting kind of impatient by end of december as NSU was my top choice, so this is what i did and it may help you:
1) I called NSU office and ask for Delia Celestine (It took me atleast 3 or four calls to get hold of her, i never left a message because i read on sdn that they never return calls). When i finally got hold of her, i told her that NSU was my top choice and I am desperately waiting to hear back from them (Try to show some interest in school and be nice). It would help if you have any connections with NSU like you live in Southern Florida and have visited the campus etc.
2) I send a certified letter address to Admission Committee with all the reasons why i want to be a student at NSU. I also mention about the grad classes which i took last semester and what grades I got. I also mention about the two research publications which i had in last six months. (So try to pin point all your new accomplishments) I also send my resume.
I don't know if any of these things help.
If you need any other help, PM me and I would be more than happy to help in any possible way. I know how depressing waiting to hear from schools is.....
Good Luck.

brent311 said:
Does anyone know if the class is almost full or if they are even giving interviews anymore? Thanks .

Nothing's impossible, but start working on Plan B. It's pretty late in the cycle.

NS

thanks everyone for the responses. I finally got in touch with someone today and she said that they arnt doing anymore interviews until they see how many people decide not to go to nsu. They also said that they will send out letters soon either rejecting people or telling them they are still under review for the few spots that people turn down. So it looks like my chances are slim but not impossible.

Guys,
If you are planning to move your stuff from your home to Fort Lauderdale this summer, you may want to check out this website.

http://www.upack.com/

Than click on "Free moving qoutes" icon on extreme left. They have some really cheap deals.

This is what it says on their website

YOU PACK and load the trailer that ABF® delivers to your home.

WE DRIVE the trailer to your new destination. The transportation industry recognizes ABF drivers for their outstanding safety record.

YOU SAVE money! There are no unknown costs like there are with renting a truck. You can even save thousands of dollars over full-service movers, since you pay only for the space you use.

mandar said:
Guys,
If you are planning to move your stuff from your home to Fort Lauderdale this summer, you may want to check out this website.

http://www.upack.com/

Than click on "Free moving qoutes" icon on extreme left. They have some really cheap deals.

This is what it says on their website

YOU PACK and load the trailer that ABF® delivers to your home.

WE DRIVE the trailer to your new destination. The transportation industry recognizes ABF drivers for their outstanding safety record.

YOU SAVE money! There are no unknown costs like there are with renting a truck. You can even save thousands of dollars over full-service movers, since you pay only for the space you use.

i just tried it... it says to move one room worth of furniture from chicago to davie would cost 1200-1400. id rather buy new stuff when i get down there. school is going to be soooo dayam expensive!

Kinjal350z said:
i just tried it... it says to move one room worth of furniture from chicago to davie would cost 1200-1400. id rather buy new stuff when i get down there. school is going to be soooo dayam expensive!

I do agree with you that moving is expensive. But for some people who have to move stuff as they have already brought furniture etc may try
Mobile Container Terminal-To-Terminal from www.upack.com. It is cheaper than the other option (Door-To-Door from U-pack)
Mobile Container Terminal-to-Terminal gave me an estimate of 600$ to move from Indianapolis to Miami (They don't have a terminal in Fort Lauderdale so they will deliver the container in Miami.

This is the information from the website about Mobile Container Terminal-To-Terminal Moving:
With this option, you will pack and load your belongings in a U-Pack Mobile Container at the ABF terminal nearest to your origin location. This weather-proof container is approximately 5'x 7'x 8' (LWH) and can be locked with a personal padlock for additional security. Once packed and loaded, ABF will transport your container to the nearest destination terminal where you will unpack and unload your container. Your estimate for the container is an all-inclusive rate for transportation of your belongings on a terminal-toterminal basis.

Hello all. First let me congratulate you on gaining acceptance into such a great school. I will soon be applying to schools and am trying to gain an insider's view into certain schools I am highly considering and NSUCOM is one of them. So if I can pick your brains a little, I would really be appreciative. So here goes: Are there any cool features of your curriculum, besides Harvey I think it is, that are unique or that you do really well? When do you start patient interaction? How is the general atmosphere down in sunny Florida? Can you actually study with the beautiful weather? How are the rotation sites? With so many people close by I assume they are pretty good, but I dont know. What differentiated NSUCOM from other schools you applied to? I am also looking at those of you that are students there now, NotShorty, looking to you, is NSU really as great as it sounds? Any insight would be really apreciated and maybe I will see you there in the future. Again, congrats and thanks.

redwings54 said:
NotShorty, looking to you, is NSU really as great as it sounds?

Oh Gawd, I'm the authority now? :laugh:

I don't trust my own opinions anymore. I'm gonna pass on this one until some others give their two cents.

NS

Hey all... I guess to defer your educational expenses and to save me some shelf space, I'm looking to sell my otoscope/opthalmoscope set. It is a Welch-Allyn Classic set check the details out at :

http://www.allheart.com/wa97150.html

Drop me an email at sbrian#novaDOTedu (avoiding email spiders, just at the @ and the . where they should be).

TIA!
-b

Anyone going to be in Davie next friday through mon, I'm giong to be down for some house hunting. PM if you are

NotShorty said:
Oh Gawd, I'm the authority now? :laugh:

I don't trust my own opinions anymore. I'm gonna pass on this one until some others give their two cents.

NS

sure you can be the authority! Rock on man!

I'll fire off some really quick replies as I avoid neurophys studying....

redwings54 said:
So if I can pick your brains a little, I would really be appreciative. So here goes: Are there any cool features of your curriculum, besides Harvey I think it is, that are unique or that you do really well?
Harvey is cool but you don't see him much as a first year. he is mainly for 2nd years to work with. We have access but were all too busy to play. Maybe I'll play with him in a few weeks when our load drops dramatically. I think we do clinical experiences really well at this school. By the time you hit the wards I don't think many are afraid of the patient or have worries about just going up and talking to them.

redwings54 said:
When do you start patient interaction?
1st year with simulated patient exams and shadowing primary care physicians.

redwings54 said:
How is the general atmosphere down in sunny Florida?
I studied by the pool today with sunscreen on. No joke. But the atmosphere is one of constant studying or being in class. at least for me my free time (like now) I feel bad for not studying. In all though I smile every day as I walk past palm trees to school...

redwings54 said:
Can you actually study with the beautiful weather?
Yes....depends on who you are if you see it a little or a lot....but its nice to have around when you actually do get free time.

redwings54 said:
How are the rotation sites?
I think they rock but I hate having a lotto system like so many other schools. Kinda annoying but I really like some of the rotation sites. My favorites are Mt Siani, Broward, Memorial, and the VA hospital in West Palm. Others will tell you different. This last year Orlando was the most requested at Orlando East Regional Hospital.

redwings54 said:
What differentiated NSUCOM from other schools you applied to?
Tuition, friendly students, weather, and proximity to a large airport and city. I lived in small rual areas and wanted to have access to lots of shops, resturants, and a life if I ever got out of a study room.

redwings54 said:
I am also looking at those of you that are students there now, NotShorty, looking to you, is NSU really as great as it sounds?
I'm Not NotShorty but every school has its issues. We have the scanning in and dress code....of course at the current moment we really don't have either but its still in place and the administration can decide to enforce it hard core if they wish. In the end they do want us to be great physicians but thats just what I know is annoying. Other schools have other issues. Do your research. I am still happy I came here and I just got back from Peru on a Medical Mission which made me realize a little of why I am working so damn hard. Good luck to you.

Robz said:
I'll fire off some really quick replies as I avoid neurophys studying....

what up Robz, i also studied by the pool today.........actually I took my notes into the pool as I stood in the water probably for about 3 hours. It was the first time i tried studyin outside in the beautiful weather, but man, it was awesome.

Now that my head is filled with Globus Pallidus and i'm thinking about how inhibition of GP doesn't allow GP to inhibit SNr, leading to excitation of SN which acts to excite GPi and SNr, which ultimately works to inhibit the thalamus leading to decreased muscle activity.........please, a gun would help right about now.

anybody got one?

I do...but due to state laws and not going straight from home to FL...no firearms will be accompanying me. I'm sorry I can't be of any help.

kaikai128 said:
I do...but due to state laws and not going straight from home to FL...no firearms will be accompanying me. I'm sorry I can't be of any help.
Dang it!!!!!!! oh well, I will have to use my butter knife and see what kind of internal bleeding I can bring about.

HoodyHoo said:
Dang it!!!!!!! oh well, I will have to use my butter knife and see what kind of internal bleeding I can bring about.

hit those free nerve endings and get the glutamate/subst. p running... :laugh:

Robz said:
sure you can be the authority! Rock on man!

Ugh... I've got so many "jeez, I wish it didn't take me so long to figure out ______" scenarios, I won't bother to vent right now.

The important thing is that I'm getting ready to go enjoy an open bar and food with a bunch of awesome people. :D :thumbup:

Don't freak out '09ers (there will be plenty of time to do that next year). Just take one day at a time, play as hard as you work, and remember to make good friends b/c it's the only way you'll make it through the tough times.

Plus, I'll be around to help you learn from my mistakes. :scared: :laugh: :cool:

NS

If anyone is interested, I will most likely have one bedroom available in a 2 bedroom townhouse right next to cedar key (less than one block from HPD). I am male but I don't care if my roomate is male or female.....if you are interested PM me for further details............oh I have a 70 lb dog if you don't like animals. peace out, you guys are almost there, just a few more months.....