Not feeling so good. Applied to 22 programs and 6 interviews so far.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marabunny

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my chairman strongly advised for me to apply to no more than 20 programs for Ob/gyn. I gave him my list of 22 and he said that this was fine.

Right now I only have 6 interview invites and I'm freaking out.

Stats: Step 1~ 211 Step 2 CK~254

Maybe I screwed up in what programs I applied to. Mostly academic programs in Boston, NY, Philly, DC, Baltimore.

Should I be worried? (I am). Are many programs still sending out interview invites? Is there anything I can do about this?

Members don't see this ad.

Stop it. It's October. Just stop.

You will get your 15 IV's, providing you don't redline your engine first

So my chairman strongly advised for me to apply to no more than 20 programs for Ob/gyn. I gave him my list of 22 and he said that this was fine.

Right now I only have 6 interview invites and I'm freaking out.

Stats: Step 1~ 211 Step 2 CK~254

Maybe I screwed up in what programs I applied to. Mostly academic programs in Boston, NY, Philly, DC, Baltimore.

Should I be worried? (I am). Are many programs still sending out interview invites? Is there anything I can do about this?

Which programs?

If the bulk is Brigham, Penn, NYU etc. Then there may be a problem. But if there is a mix, then you should be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which programs?

If the bulk is Brigham, Penn, NYU etc. Then there may be a problem. But if there is a mix, then you should be fine.

No, I didn't apply to many top tier programs because I knew I'd be shut out by my Step1 score. It's a mix. Just havent heard from any in a while so I was worried. Thanks for your reply.

I would look at which programs you applied to that have actually offered interviews so far, and also how many different days people received interviews from them (judging by the sample on the interview invite thread). Thats pretty much what I've been doing. I know its not perfect but it seems to be a pretty representative sample.

Since it seems like the interview season doesn't really start until next week, and November for many programs, I would wait and see how this week goes. I am holding out hope that this week will be a big week for maybe the second and third rounds of interview invites from some programs.

Regardless, IMO 6 interviews is pretty good. Especially if you feel you will have a good chance at atleast a few of them, and I've heard from multiple people from previous years that they still received invites well into November.

I am feeling similarly worried - I have four interviews and am on a waitlist for a fifth. I know it's still October but both my step scores are low (<215) and I applied to a lot of programs (mixed tiers). Have also gotten a fair number of rejections. The rest of my application is solid and I have a NIH research year, 24 pubs total on both science and med ed, and lot of extracurriculars and leadership. I am not the traditional applicant but wanted to see what you all thought about this. I know I need 15 interviews most likely, and I'm not even half way there. Anything I can do?

I am feeling similarly worried - I have four interviews and am on a waitlist for a fifth. I know it's still October but both my step scores are low (<215) and I applied to a lot of programs (mixed tiers). Have also gotten a fair number of rejections. The rest of my application is solid and I have a NIH research year, 24 pubs total on both science and med ed, and lot of extracurriculars and leadership. I am not the traditional applicant but wanted to see what you all thought about this. I know I need 15 interviews most likely, and I'm not even half way there. Anything I can do?

How many programs did you apply to?

Are you DO or MD? Also, foreign or US graduate?

Still in medical school?

I am an MD, US grad. I graduated last year and in the meantime have been doing NIH research, shadowing at a gyn clinic, and working full time on medical education. I applied to about 60 programs. Thanks for your help!

Also, just FYI I am doing these 'years off' by choice, I haven't previously not matched - this is my first time through the process.

Good luck! I'm feeling pretty nervous as well. Applied to 43, only have 3... Hang in there

I am an MD, US grad. I graduated last year and in the meantime have been doing NIH research, shadowing at a gyn clinic, and working full time on medical education. I applied to about 60 programs. Thanks for your help!

Your step 1 score is a bit on the lower side. The publications are a plus. But I can say that as a field, I feel that OB GYN residencies don't value research as much as other specialties like rad onc or derm.

I'm not saying it won't help but not as much as you'd hope.

You should be able to match. It may not be at an academic powerhouse. You may be in a bit of a bind because some of the community programs may see your research and think you're not as interested in them while the traditional academic higher tier programs who would appreciate your research like to see better Step scores.

If you haven't heard from programs that have been listed in the interview thread, you may want to apply to a few more programs. Maybe get your advisers to make a couple of calls.

thanks for the reply! i am going on 13-14 now. i am excited about Jefferson, Georgetown, Drexel, BU, St Luke's, Winthrop, and LIJ. i'd be very happy to match into any of those. the rest are small or programs that i heard are malignant. still waiting on a few more off the wait list and staying hopeful. hope everyone else is keeping positive too!