Not even excited to start school this week. Is this a bad sign?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xoxo111

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m not even excited to start school, it’s more like I’m questioning my decision. I also feel like I picked the wrong school. Our schedule got leaked & I saw that we’ve classes from 9am-6pm twice a week! I mean that’s insane!! Plus attendance is mandatory. I’m worried that I may not like it & I’ll fail out or dropout. Has anyone felt like this before starting but later knew that they made the right choice? I don’t mind being a physician but I don’t know if I’ve enough drive in me to pull through.

Members don't see this ad.

If you work hard/seek help when you struggle it’s unlikely you’ll fail out. Drive is something you’ll have to constantly get down and find as school and residency is a long process. If you don’t want to do it then here is your time to drop out. Nothing worse than being 2 or 3 years in and then turning around with all that debt and time wasted

Reactions: 1 user
I’m not even excited to start school, it’s more like I’m questioning my decision. I also feel like I picked the wrong school. Our schedule got leaked & I saw that we’ve classes from 9am-6pm twice a week! I mean that’s insane!! Plus attendance is mandatory. I’m worried that I may not like it & I’ll fail out or dropout. Has anyone felt like this before starting but later knew that they made the right choice? I don’t mind being a physician but I don’t know if I’ve enough drive in me to pull through.

It's normal to feel that way before classes begin. Mandatory attendance will take a lot out but if your time management skills are good..you will be fine at the end. Try to pre-read before the lectures, pay attention during lecture and try to review it all that day evening...along with eating right and exercise. Remember its a marathon, not a sprint..so it will take time getting used to the lifestyle and the well being. Take it one day at a time..talk to 2nd-year students when class begins and seek help when you need it from admins/faculty. You should also believe in the system put in place...as in..if students from your program are doing well at the end (boards/residency)..then mandatory classes are not that and you can also succeed if put in the work.

You can do it..good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Excited or not, you gotta maintain the drive. 7 years ago DMU gave out the biochemistry notes the day before the first class. I was super excited. I told myself I'm going to totally devote myself to being awesome at podiatry - a commitment I had never made to myself in undergrad. I sat down and studied for 7 hours straight. Went to school the next day. Painful realization - my 7 hours of study had covered 1 day of lectures. I was not ahead. I knew 1 day worth of material very well. School is a marathon. People have breakdowns during 1st year - those who ask for help earlier are more likely to make it through.

Material in school (1) repeats itself (2) is tested repeatedly. Learn things right the first time and save yourself suffering later. Clotting cascades are going to be tested on in biochemistry, physiology, pharmacology, pathology, etc. Learn it right the first time and its just a refresher the next time. Take a class with cumulative testing and there may be "old" material questions on every test after the first.

Everyone worries about failing. The simple and unfortunate truth is that in general the schools accept everyone. The idea that you've been accepted therefore you must be great does not apply to podiatry school applicants.

Last of all, screw mandatory lectures. Terrible waste of time.

Reactions: 3 users
Excited or not, you gotta maintain the drive. 7 years ago DMU gave out the biochemistry notes the day before the first class. I was super excited. I told myself I'm going to totally devote myself to being awesome at podiatry - a commitment I had never made to myself in undergrad. I sat down and studied for 7 hours straight. Went to school the next day. Painful realization - my 7 hours of study had covered 1 day of lectures. I was not ahead. I knew 1 day worth of material very well. School is a marathon. People have breakdowns during 1st year - those who ask for help earlier are more likely to make it through.

Material in school (1) repeats itself (2) is tested repeatedly. Learn things right the first time and save yourself suffering later. Clotting cascades are going to be tested on in biochemistry, physiology, pharmacology, pathology, etc. Learn it right the first time and its just a refresher the next time. Take a class with cumulative testing and there may be "old" material questions on every test after the first.

Everyone worries about failing. The simple and unfortunate truth is that in general the schools accept everyone. The idea that you've been accepted therefore you must be great does not apply to podiatry school applicants.

Last of all, screw mandatory lectures. Terrible waste of time.

I wish I could screw it but I think points get taken off if I don’t attend lectures. I knew that before deciding on the school but after looking at my first semester schedule, I’m not so sure anymore. We’ve classes from 9-7pm twice a week!!! I mean seriously!!!!!

I can tell you rn, that this years schedule for first years at NYCPM is not normal and definitely sucks for you guys. The main reason behind it is that there has been some major reshuffling with first year faculty the past year in what usually has been a very steady lineup over the past 5 years. The biochem professor headed off to a Puerto Rican med school, the Bacteriology professor finally retired after basically teaching the course for 40 years, the neuro professor got a new full time position at Seton Hall's new med school. Thus they really wanted to keep the neuro professor around but he could only teach in the spring now so they swapped neuro in the fall for physio from the spring semester and hence the problem as physio is a much more credit heavy class that comes with labs. Also i guess the new Bact professor has some strange schedule hours bc I can assure you classes never went until 6pm before, at least first semester. Most of the time you'd be done by 2pm. You guys definitely got hard done. Will be interesting to see how this all turns out, not just because the schedule but also because of all the new professors. They also swapped the infectious disease prof with a group of profs from NYMC this summer and and new course has been absolutely killing the 2022 class. Good luck

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users