Non -US IMG Here, when to take USMLE exams?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hariusmuru

Reaction score
Hi there, I am currently a first year medical student in China leading up to an MBBS(in english taught curriculum) degree. (To be clear, I am an Indian National) I want to do my residency in the US. Though I am an non-US IMG, I will become a permanent resident soon. My course duration is 6 years which is 5 years + 1 year of internship. All the disciplines covered on the USMLE step 1 is covered by the end of my third year, and for step 2 ck by the end of my 5th year. I have already started preparing for my step 1. I plan on doing externships after getting my usmle step 1 for obtaining US clinical experience. But at my university after 5th year first semester holidays we don't have holidays till the end of our internship year meaning I won't be able to write my Step 2 CK and CS till I graduate in 2025 around June. So if I write my step 2 CK and CS after graduating I have to apply for the match of 2026 and not immediately after I graduate. That adds around 9 months since graduating before I match. Would this pose a problem for my chances of matching, and should I take the risk and prepare for the step 2 CK and write the exam before the covered disciplines of the exam are taught at my college. So that I can apply for the match of 2025? I have heard a lot that people who apply for a while after graduating have less chances of matching. I know it seems as if I am planning for a far future, but I feel like something as big as this requires some before time planning. Also do I have to have Step 2 Ck and Cs scores before applying for the match?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I believe you know the step 1 had changed into P/F starting 2022; the answer for your last question is: YES you have to take step 2 and nail them on the first attempt!

start hammering in zanki/ lightyear from day 1 of medical school ( and during ur breaks) you will thank me later.

Forget hammering Zanki for Step 1 - P/F requires 2 months of UW that's it.
Hammer Dorians anki deck or something similiar for Step 2, bc this is actually still scored.

Members don't see this ad :)
Forget hammering Zanki for Step 1 - P/F requires 2 months of UW that's it.
Hammer Dorians anki deck or something similiar for Step 2, bc this is actually still scored.
To what extent is studying for a p/f step 1 giving diminishing returns? It was my understanding that the best predictive metric for step 2 performance is step 1 performance.
Maybe hammer step 1, but not as much relative to previous years, and then transition more quickly to step 2?
Lil bit of column A, lil bit of B.

To what extent is studying for a p/f step 1 giving diminishing returns? It was my understanding that the best predictive metric for step 2 performance is step 1 performance.
Maybe hammer step 1, but not as much relative to previous years, and then transition more quickly to step 2?
Lil bit of column A, lil bit of B.
If you have the will power to grind super hard for step 1, for a passing grade, while you see your peers study here and have a life on the wknd during the entirety of MS2 year, then kudos - you'll have a better knowledge base for rotations. But it's going to be a lot harder than it seems.

I have been grinding non-stop since end of MS1 with anki, pathoma, BnB, FA, etc bc I know it'll pay off when I get a 230+ score. I can't say I would have done the same if I was in class of 2024 shoes. I hope I still would have studied a lot bc having a basic science knowledge base is really important and makes you feel like you are truly progressing on this long journey.

To your point though, yes balance is key for someone in your class and beyond. Study but don't go crazy until Step 2. Pretty sure I'll go just has hard on step 2 as I have been for step 1 bc who knows the mentality switch between the PD's since the announcement of P/F for step 1.

Cheers.

Reactions: 1 user