Non-Trad With Low Undergrad GPA. MD PhD Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

santjg

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys! I'm an MD applicant who is planning on applying to MD PhD programs at schools with strong neuro programs. I just want to know how realistic my school choices are based on my stats.
Academic Record: Second Year Master's Student with a BS in Neuroscience from a state university.
Country/state of residence: FL
Social Background: Puerto Rican Male; not declaring disadvantaged
MCAT: 512 (125/129/129/128)
cGPA: 3.57 (3.52 in undergrad, 3.86 grad)
sGPA: 3.49 (3.37 undergrad, 3.86 grad)
Research: 4 years participating in neuroscience research between my undergrad and grad school. Two second author publications. Several posters and oral presentations. One large academic conference.
Volunteering (clinical): Nearly 2 years working for a local medical outreach clinic providing healthcare to underserved communities. (~6h/week).
Physician shadowing: Nearly all of my hours with the outreach clinic had some degree of physician shadowing. In addition, I shadowed plastic surgery and neurosurgery for a combined 45h
Non-clinical volunteering: Volunteered for a semester in the hospital stapling papers before I got the clinic gig.
Extracurricular activities: Undergraduate research, Club Rugby, Club Olympic Weightlifting, Graduate School Diversity Committee member
Immediate family members in medicine?: None
Graduate degrees: Working on a Master's in Medical Science with a thesis focused on neural regeneration after spinal cord injury
Schools I'm Applying To:
MD, PhD:
  • Columbia (Long Shot)
  • UCLA-Geffen
  • USC-Keck
  • UFlorida
  • UColorado
  • Emory
  • UMichigan
  • Einstein
  • OHSU
  • UPittsburgh