Non-DS OMS residency and dentoalveolar training

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

txdent2be2007

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone care to comment on the depth and scope of training in implants, 3rds, prepros surgery, etc. at OMS programs not affiliated with a dental school? How does the referral process work at these programs, i.e., do these cases all come from outside restorative dentists/pros?

I know programs like Parkland, LSU NO/Shreveport, etc. are considered some of the best, and they don't have dental schools in the same med center...could any of these residents share their opinions?

Thanks a lot

Members don't see this ad.

At the main parkland hospital clinic, all you do is dento-alveolar stuff, be it 3rd molar extraction, "normal" pre-prosthothetic, or incision and drainage. The crazy prepros surgeries such as vestibuloplasty and distractions are performed at the VA, which is also part of the omfs training. Since the government pays the tab, you will also be doing a lot of implants at the VA.

At our hospital (shreveport), we do 3rds, preprosthetic surgery, etc in the clinic. Most of our referals are from the denture clinics in town. The thirds come from everywhere becuase we're the only people in town who do them for free.

The implants are done in the faculty clinic with the faculty, those of course are referrals from private dentists/prosthodontists. The key here that our attending let us place half the implants even when the pt's are awake. Some attendings won't let you touch their paying patients. We're just lucky i guess.

I think parkland is pretty much like ours.

Members don't see this ad :)
In our program (private practice/hospital-no dental school) we work on attendings private patients from day one. It takes alot of assisting and trust before they let you loose on their paying patients. We don't have a "local anesthetic-tooth clinic". The trolls have no home in this town. There are lots of +'s and -'s to this format.

Nothing like being a glorified assistant to ur attending... day in and day out.

We, as interns, do IVCS 3rds on Monday and Friday mornings, point-and-pull Tuesday and Wednesday mornings, FMX and longer dentoalveolar procedures in the afternoons, and Thursday mornings are our guaranteed OR time during the week.

north2southOMFS said:
At our hospital (shreveport), we do 3rds, preprosthetic surgery, etc in the clinic. Most of our referals are from the denture clinics in town. The thirds come from everywhere becuase we're the only people in town who do them for free.

The implants are done in the faculty clinic with the faculty, those of course are referrals from private dentists/prosthodontists. The key here that our attending let us place half the implants even when the pt's are awake. Some attendings won't let you touch their paying patients. We're just lucky i guess.

north2southOMFS said:

Actually, we do very few implants at Parkland because these patients are the sacred cow that faculty don't let us touch very often.

But then again, implants are one of the most boring surgeries out there. Except for Perio surgery.

toofache32 said:
But then again, implants are one of the most boring surgeries out there. Except for Perio surgery.
Agreed. I can't imagine that after finishing any OMFS residency that a person would have a hard time learning implants, even if he'd never placed a single one during residency. Well, everyone except North2South, that is. You wouldn't think that someone would have a hard time delivering a placenta either, until the uterus is born.

OMFSCardsFan said:
You wouldn't think that someone would have a hard time delivering a placenta either, until the uterus is born.
Been there done that.

OMFSCardsFan said:
Sweeeet...did you think it was a tumor?

This was my though process...

Oh $hit, its theirs another baby...........no

....oh $hit, i'm pulling out some uterine tumor.............no....

....oh $hit, thats the uterous.........inverted.

.....inverted, ......you know, like goose and maverick were.

OMFSCardsFan said:
Sweeeet...did you think it was a tumor?
I thought it was the twin...until I looked back and remembered that both kiddies were already out on the table.