Non Compete by Academia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GassedOut12

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Does anyone know if academic places like UIC or UChicago have non compete radius clauses in their contract?

Is it like 5 miles or worse? Some current or former professors at UIC have a clue?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Uofc had comically low compensation when I interviewed about 5 years ago. With busy trauma call.

Reactions: 1 user
What’s comically low? And anyone know if it went up since then?

It was like 165 or 185 base. Not sure what their current salary is in this job market

• Haha
  • Okay...
  • Angry
Reactions: 3 users
Just ignore it especially if it’s a big REAL academic facility.

Supposedly I have a 28 mile radius on my non compete. And the anesthesia docs and crna work literally across the street at competing surgery center next to the car wash with another amc running it.

They send out all these mass emails about non competes to try to prevent us. And it’s like what exactly are you guys doing. If u want us not working elsewhere raise the pay.

It’s all huff and puff

Because it’s a big institution and they do try to slap real job competes on real surgeons like neuro surgeons or cardiac surgeons from taking their case load elsewhere. But since it’s a huge place they have to slap the same non compete across all specialties and anesthesia really doesn’t apply
It was like 165 or 185 base. Not sure what their current salary is in this job market
hourly w2 wages are based on 2087 hours plus benefits

Unless it’s a straight w2 wage with no pay for days off and no end benefits s

$187/hr x 2087 equals 390k plus benefits and paid time off.

That base is probably for calculating retirement and the rest of your income is added as a supplement that raises your pay without counting toward the retirement calculation. That’s my guess anyway, and it’s what I’ve seen at state schools with teacher retirement.

It wasn’t hourly wage. It was base salary of 165k-185k with small bump for taking call. Around 235 total salary plus benefits. I’m sure their salary is much higher now

Last edited:
That base is probably for calculating retirement and the rest of your income is added as a supplement that raises your pay without counting toward the retirement calculation. That’s my guess anyway, and it’s what I’ve seen at state schools with teacher retirement.
Yes. It’s like crnas saying they are making $115/hr
When it’s really 240k plus 9 weeks paid vacation plus health benefits. 18k retirement matching etc

I’m telling them it’s equivalent to like $150-160/hr w2 prn no benefits when u extrapolate all the data.

So if an anesthesiologist claims it’s $187/hr w2. It’s closer to $260/270/hr w2 based on 40 hrs and 9 weeks off

Members don't see this ad :)
It’s a state institution so you can look it up
For most faculty it’s accurate (the salary) depends how’s it’s reported.

Some states report overtime some states don’t. If u research faculty and they all make the same that that’s the true base salary.

Doesn’t mean that’s the faculty true salary but gives u a basis

Yeah I’m not sure how accurate those numbers are. A few academic places give low base salary and their total compensation after taking standard call and overtime is much higher. For instance , mount Sinai base is low 100s but total comp is in 400-500s.

You might get more responses if you move to private forum op.

All academic places that I know are in the high 300:”s with min extra calls to mid 400s with a lot of calls

So not a lot of incentive to do the extra work/calls.

Why would anyone sign a noncompete for an academic job? That would be inane. These are jobs that most people don't want (because they generally suck; lots of call, crappy pay). Say no.

Reactions: 2 users
Anybody here go from private practice back to academics? Regretting or loving their decision?

FTC is going to vote on non- compete tomorrow. What do you think?

Ban or no ban?

Does it apply to non profits?? These **** mega hospitals can hide behind that possibly

The two year non-compete of locum staffing companies will not stand? These companies are not non-profit.

Reactions: 1 users