General Admissions & OTCAS Non-Accredited MOT Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

otgirl1988

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone!

I know there are a few threads discussing this topic, but I thought I would open up a new thread.

I live in Texas and have applied to 4 accredited Texas schools (UTMB, TWU, Texas Tech, and UTHSCSA). Those of you who live in Texas know how incredibly competitive it has become to get into a Texas MOT program. I wouldn't be surprised if Texas was one of the most difficult states to apply in. There are people with 3.8 and 3.9 GPAs getting waitlisted or rejected.

Needless to say, I have been waitlisted to UTMB, TWU, and Texas Tech (disheartening I know...) and I never heard back from UTHSCSA. As a back-up, I applied to the new Abilene Christian MOT program. The program is moderately priced for a private institution (<$60,000), and the curriculum looks promising. I have a relatively good shot of getting in (knock on wood) since few people know of the program. The only problem is that the program is brand new and is going through the process of accreditation. For those of you who are in the same boat as me and looking into non-accredited schools, I have a few questions:

1. Has anyone ever heard of an MOT program that has made it to the second phase of accreditation (where students were actually attending), but did not pass the third and final stage of accreditation (meaning the cohort was not able to sit for the NBCOT exam, and were therefore unable to get their OT license)?

2. What are the chances of a program not getting accredited after it has already made it to the second step of accreditation?

I would hate to spend $50,000 and two years in a program where I wasn't able to get a license. Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If I were in your situation, I would contact ACOTE directly with your concerns.

Hey @otgirl1988 I have also applied to ACU and have been researching the school's program and have contacted them on occasion before I actually applied. So far looks very promising but like you I am still skeptical since it is indeed not accredited yet and is an expensive program . Spoke with them recently and they said they would contact those who applied by march with decisions and they should know more about the status of getting accredited by then.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to ACU too. Do you mind sharing your stats? They kept delaying the deadline. Also, I heard at first that the program started in June and that we would take the exam in September. However someone at the program said it may be delayed to an August start date which is a little disheartening. Also the location isnt that great for a school/social life balance from what I heard (which may or may not be accurate either).

I have been waitlisted to 3 schools, so ACU is probably my last shot. I have decided that if I get in to ACU (and I don't get a position off any of the waitlists), that I will most likely take the plunge and go to ACU. @GradSchoolz My stats are OK, but definitely not the best. I have a 3.43 cumulative, 3.69 last 60, and a 3.6-3.78 pre-req GPA (depending on the school). I also heard about school being delayed until August. I wonder why?

Yeah, I am very disappointed by the start date change. It also lasts a bit over two years....Anyway, I only have a 3.3 cum GPA but I have LOTS of experience. If I get in then I will certainly go there as well.

@otgirl1988 I feel the same way I haven't heard back from all schools yet though so still keeping my fingers crossed but if i don't get in or off any other wait list I will definitely consider ACU! (if accepted). @Gradschool my gpa is between 3.68-3.7 (not exactly sure since I don't know if they will count the classes I took after graduation) and pre reqs depending on schools anywhere from 3.85-3.9. When do you think ACU should let us know for sure?

I'm in the same boat...waitlisted at UTMB. I sure hope ACU works out for all of us! I have applied to several out of state schools, but would love to be just a 2 hour drive away from home. Last time I checked they said decisions would be out in March, which is when they should know about the accreditation as well. Fingers crossed!

@Krys your stats look really good! Where else are you applying?It's sad that someone with a 3.7 and 3.9 pre-req is getting waitlisted. When I entered this process more than a year ago, I had NO IDEA that getting in to OT school was going to be nearly as hard as getting in to medical school. I hope you get in to the school of your choice! Also, I heard that there were 60 applicants for ACU?! Can anyone else verify that? That's actually more than I expected, lol. @TexasOT2be I have also heard that decisions would be out by March (actually, the website says by March 1st). Fingers crossed!!! :xf:

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, I also applied to ACU After getting wait listed by 4 schools in Texas. I was wondering if any of you all know if they were still going to be doing interviews or just accepting after looking at our applications? I emailed them the other day asking when we would hear anything back and they said it would not be till March.

Hey @sparkle98911, I hear that ACU is not doing interviews, so we should hopefully know something very soon!!
I'm afraid I'm might be put on the waiting list......Yeah the lady said their expecting 60 to apply....but she said they had around 45 applicants.....I just hate that they extended their deadline. I believe they only had about 30 before they extended...

I'm afraid I'm might be put on the waiting list......Yeah the lady said their expecting 60 to apply....but she said they had around 45 applicants.....I just hate that they extended their deadline. I believe they only had about 30 before they extended...
When did you call the lady that said they had around 45 applicants? Was it right before the February 1st deadline? I still think you have a good shot, @Makingmoves2014!! Especially if you get your GPA up by the end of the semester!

When did you call the lady that said they had around 45 applicants? Was it right before the February 1st deadline? I still think you have a good shot, @Makingmoves2014!! Especially if you get your GPA up by the end of the semester!
I called around the middle of January! I called yesterday because I'm just a nervous wreck...they lady said it shouldn't hurt my chances of not getting if I'm still taking some pereqs.. I've heard we should know something around March but I wonder if they going to call or email??

So now we have to wait until April for any news...sigh...Waiting is not my strong suit! ugh...

So now we have to wait until April for any news...sigh...Waiting is not my strong suit! ugh...

Is that what they are saying now? I am really wanting to get a number of total applicants to find out what my chances are....they posted the new class schedule on their website.

Is that what they are saying now? I am really wanting to get a number of total applicants to find out what my chances are....they posted the new class schedule on their website.
Yea they sent an email out earlier with all that info so we shall wait until April. I'm curious as well since they extended the deadline.

Yea they sent an email out earlier with all that info so we shall wait until April. I'm curious as well since they extended the deadline.
There was 60mapplicants.........last time I called.........The lady in graduate admissions said their sticking to 22 people in the program...........glad I applied to cota program.......I believe cota to ot will the route I will take......