No transitional interview, but can u rank?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redbookfan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Someone was telling me yesterday they heard that one can rank transitional year programs or preliminary programs (if one has applied to them) even if one hasn't received an interview at them....I have NEVER heard this. I always thought one can rank ONLY those programs where one INTERVIEWS. Please clarify. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You can technically rank any program you want, but your chances of matching there without an interview are essentially zero.

Members don't see this ad :)
Someone was telling me yesterday they heard that one can rank transitional year programs or preliminary programs (if one has applied to them) even if one hasn't received an interview at them....I have NEVER heard this. I always thought one can rank ONLY those programs where one INTERVIEWS. Please clarify. Thanks!

At my school, the PD for Surgery has told our MS4s seeking surgery residencies to rank our surgery prelim year in the last slot of their ROL as a backup (even if they don't interview here) so that they don't have to scramble. Our Dean's office is not completely supportive of this practice though.

At my school, the PD for Surgery has told our MS4s seeking surgery residencies to rank our surgery prelim year in the last slot of their ROL as a backup (even if they don't interview here) so that they don't have to scramble.

But that only makes sense if the program then ranks the MS4. And would they, without granting an interview?

But that only makes sense if the program then ranks the MS4. And would they, without granting an interview?

Probably at the bottom of their list for prelims, if they don't want to find people to fill the spots in the scramble. Maybe they prefer the known over the unknown, or maybe they don't always fill for prelims.