Coursework & Fieldwork No laughing policy (lol)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beestrng

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a srs policy at a level II site. Have any of you guys seen a policy like this? It seems enforced lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Just wanted to say that I nervous laugh sometimes so if I couldn't do that I'd just straight up cry to replace that... Yeah, not very helpful.

Good luck with that, that seems crazy!

Reactions: 1 user
But what if someone tells a joke :(

Members don't see this ad :)
At my level I site, there was a therapist who would make jokes about patients when she was in the documentation room, and I found it uncomfortable. Maybe it's to address things like that? But the policy sounds bad for building rapport among coworkers.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
At my level I site, there was a therapist who would make jokes about patients when she was in the documentation room, and I found it uncomfortable. Maybe it's to address things like that? But the policy sounds bad for building rapport among coworkers.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yeah probably. Only heard good humored jokes with clients in front of them.

What setting? I did a level I in the NICU and laughter can be therapeutic even when there's nothing funny going on.

What setting? I did a level I in the NICU and laughter can be therapeutic even when there's nothing funny going on.

In the sensory room in the OT/PT program I shadowed, one of the residents used a giggle ball. It's a weird thought that OT can range from that, where laughter is encouraged and is part of therapy, to discouraging laughing.

Laughing is my favorite occupation....

What? No! Good lord, I mean, it's not like we're laughing at our patients, but making a patient laugh, or laughing with them is GOOD for them and for you! For young AND old clients. I work in Peds, so that would effectively be like saying "No children are allowed to have any fun in here - EVER!". We have extremely taxing jobs sometimes, and if I can share a moment to giggle with a kiddo, that's not at anyone's expense, that makes the day go by. Especially if the session has started out a little rocky, and all of a sudden, something makes them laugh, it can change the course of the rest of the session for the better. Laughing with others is part of being socially connected and that's a huge part of our job.

In the sensory room in the OT/PT program I shadowed, one of the residents used a giggle ball. It's a weird thought that OT can range from that, where laughter is encouraged and is part of therapy, to discouraging laughing.

discouraged rehab staff, not the clients. its really weird lol