NIH Loan Repayment Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Funded this morning!!! NCI - New - CR

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Finally changed to funded for me too!! Wooohoo! Congrats all!! NCI - peds - renewal.

Just FYI, I had a successful first submission and (2) renewals, but then 2 years where my renewal was unsuccessful. Kept at it, and found success this year!! Don't give up! And be sure to talk with your POs if your grant isn't funded!

Reactions: 3 users
This is going to sound really bratty but did anyone get 2 year renewal for NCI? I’m happy I got 1 but would have loved 2…

Members don't see this ad :)
Happy Season 10 GIF by The Voice

NCI CR funded

Reactions: 2 users
NIMHD (new) changed to funded this morning!!!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations to all who got the awards! In case anyone is tracking this, I received a rejection email today--NIMHD health disparities renewal.

Congratulations to all who got the awards! In case anyone is tracking this, I received a rejection email today--NIMHD health disparities renewal.
I’m so sorry. 😔 I applied last year and never received a rejection email even tho it wasn’t funded. I wonder if it’s new. Good luck to you and hope you get it renewed next year. I read somewhere in this thread NIMHD is not prioritizing renewals?

Reactions: 1 user
I’m so sorry. 😔 I applied last year and never received a rejection email even tho it wasn’t funded. I wonder if it’s new. Good luck to you and hope you get it renewed next year. I read somewhere in this thread NIMHD is not prioritizing renewals?
I am an NIMHD 1st time renewal, and my status changed to funded yesterday evening(!). But I also heard the acceptance rates are lower for renewals with NIMHD. I haven’t received an email yet. Has anyone received an email notice from NIMHD? I hesitate to believe it’s real until I get an official email.

I’m so sorry about the rejection. Were you selected but then not funded?

This is going to sound really bratty but did anyone get 2 year renewal for NCI? I’m happy I got 1 but would have loved 2…
I'm NIDA, not NCI, but did get 2 years. I learned a weird thing this year though that you may want to check with your institution in the future. When the business official fills out the salary verification form, they can verify it for either one or two years. If they only verify one, then you can only ever receive a one-year renewal. To be considered for two-year renewals, they must verify two years worth of information. I only found out because my institution specifically asked me which I was applying for and told me about this.

I'm NIDA, not NCI, but did get 2 years. I learned a weird thing this year though that you may want to check with your institution in the future. When the business official fills out the salary verification form, they can verify it for either one or two years. If they only verify one, then you can only ever receive a one-year renewal. To be considered for two-year renewals, they must verify two years worth of information. I only found out because my institution specifically asked me which I was applying for and told me about this.
That’s so annoying I wish I realized that in advance and could appeal…. But NCI probably wouldn’t care now. I guess I’ll just repackage my same application again

That’s so annoying I wish I realized that in advance and could appeal…. But NCI probably wouldn’t care now. I guess I’ll just repackage my same application again
I was reviewing the LRP FAQ's page and saw a similar statement under Renewals:

"If an applicant applies for a two-year renewal, the extension period may be one or two years. Each applicant lists an Institutional Business Official (IBO) on their application. That official is asked to provide institutional certification and is provided the option of certifying for one or two years. If they provide certification for one year, then NIH can only consider funding the extension for a one-year period. If the IBO provides certification for two years, then NIH may choose to fund the applicant either for one or two years. NIH's decision on how long to fund is based on the budget and funding priorities."

Just FYI for future people reading this thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am an NIMHD 1st time renewal, and my status changed to funded yesterday evening(!). But I also heard the acceptance rates are lower for renewals with NIMHD. I haven’t received an email yet. Has anyone received an email notice from NIMHD? I hesitate to believe it’s real until I get an official email.

I’m so sorry about the rejection. Were you selected but then not funded?
Thanks. No, I was not selected. I'll have to apply for a new award this year, so I might change direction a bit.

for those who applied for renewals and not funded but were later successful with another application, any tips?

For those who were unsuccessful this year, I wanted to share my experience. I applied last year (NIAID) and was selected for financial review and thought this meant likely good news, but then was ultimately not funded. I was devastated getting this news but was determined, applied again with the same project and received the funding award this year!

My research itself has not changed, so I think it is a lot about the presentation of your research and your career so far. Things that were helpful were having a discussion with the program officer for NIAID to go over my application comments (weirdly my comments were very positive, but didn't make funding line I guess).

I streamlined my description of my research, added my new publications, and revised my personal statement to show my career path better. I contacted a few people from the LRP ambassador's website and got examples of LRP applications that were successful to help style my application more like those that had been funded. I also was on every LRP program event (webinars, twitter chats, etc) that I could attend to ask specific questions to the LRP officials and prior applicants and get my name out there in case that mattered.

In the end I don't really know what helped, but would encourage anyone who has received bad news this year to apply again, your chances of getting funded are good and persistence pays off! Happy to chat with anyone about my experience as well.

For awardees: how does it work with the default monthly repayment schedule set by student loan providers versus the quarterly payments sent by NIH LRP? Are we put on a special payment schedule for example? If so, do we need to specifically request this? In other words, do student loan providers still request the monthly payment on the off-months a payment is not sent by NIH LRP?

For awardees: how does it work with the default monthly repayment schedule set by student loan providers versus the quarterly payments sent by NIH LRP? Are we put on a special payment schedule for example? If so, do we need to specifically request this? In other words, do student loan providers still request the monthly payment on the off-months a payment is not sent by NIH LRP?
New award recipient here - I contacted my loan provider about this (Great Lakes) and they said a surplus payment would advance my due date and that I wouldn't need to make additional monthly payments. Time will tell if this is actually the case (my monthly loan payments don't start back up until like March). So maybe reach out to your servicer to see what they'll do (and hopefully others will chime in)?

New award recipient here - I contacted my loan provider about this (Great Lakes) and they said a surplus payment would advance my due date and that I wouldn't need to make additional monthly payments. Time will tell if this is actually the case (my monthly loan payments don't start back up until like March). So maybe reach out to your servicer to see what they'll do (and hopefully others will chime in)?
This is absolutely correct. I had a a year in which I didn't get renewed, but because of the surplus payments, I had no payments due. I got renewed the following year and never had to make a single payment in between.

With Navient loans being transferred to AidVantage, has anyone had success in updating their NIH LRP to a new loan servicer?

On the award site (Award | National Institutes of Health | Division of Loan Repayment) they mention needing a $0 balance statement from Navient in addition to the new lender statement from AidVantage showing the transfer. However, Navient doesn't let you login anymore now that they've been transferred, so wondering if anyone else has figured it out yet.

For awardees: Has anyone had success with asking/convincing LRP to pay their loans out of order because it will result in "significant savings" (per the bit from the contract below)? For context: I have Federal Loans that will be eligible for PSLF-forgiveness before LRP pays them off; the LRP payment is more than I owe monthly, so effectively goes to waste (as do these payments during COVID forbearance). I also have a small institutional loan, that would easily be paid off with LRP funds that 'go to waste.'

From the contract: "Payment of qualifying educational loans will be made directly to the lender(s). If there is more than one outstanding qualifying educational loan, the NIH Director will repay the loans in the following order, unless the NIH Director determines significant savings would result from paying loans in a different order of priority: (a) HEAL; (b) Other loans issued or guaranteed by the Federal Government; and (c) Other loans"

Has anyone here terminated their LRP? If so, did you have to pay back the loan? I am considering switching positions and I am really unsure if the new position would qualify as a breach of contract or not.

For awardees: Has anyone had success with asking/convincing LRP to pay their loans out of order because it will result in "significant savings" (per the bit from the contract below)? For context: I have Federal Loans that will be eligible for PSLF-forgiveness before LRP pays them off; the LRP payment is more than I owe monthly, so effectively goes to waste (as do these payments during COVID forbearance). I also have a small institutional loan, that would easily be paid off with LRP funds that 'go to waste.'

From the contract: "Payment of qualifying educational loans will be made directly to the lender(s). If there is more than one outstanding qualifying educational loan, the NIH Director will repay the loans in the following order, unless the NIH Director determines significant savings would result from paying loans in a different order of priority: (a) HEAL; (b) Other loans issued or guaranteed by the Federal Government; and (c) Other loans"
Yep - just email the payments department.

Does anyone know whether the new law that people no longer have to pay taxes on loan forgiveness (i.e., the law as part of the COVID relief bill) applies to NIH LRP? I can't find anything about this online and most accountants don't seem to be knowledgeable about student loans or the LRP. Would love to hear if anyone has any intel on this. Thank you!

Does anyone know whether the new law that people no longer have to pay taxes on loan forgiveness (i.e., the law as part of the COVID relief bill) applies to NIH LRP? I can't find anything about this online and most accountants don't seem to be knowledgeable about student loans or the LRP. Would love to hear if anyone has any intel on this. Thank you!
LRP is considered a taxable grant, not loan forgiveness. As such, highly doubt it falls under the COVID rules

Hey all - just checked my era commons and noticed that my LRP (NIDA CR renewal) changed status to "Council review completed." Obviously this is different from the "Submitted" versus "Selected" statuses in the old system. Anyone know if we'll get any indication about being selected for financial review or possible funding before July/August?

Hey all - just checked my era commons and noticed that my LRP (NIDA CR renewal) changed status to "Council review completed." Obviously this is different from the "Submitted" versus "Selected" statuses in the old system. Anyone know if we'll get any indication about being selected for financial review or possible funding before July/August?
Same (New NICHD). Status changed to "Council Review Completed." ERA status codes crosswalk makes it look like this status is the new 'Selected", but I guess we'll know for sure soon!

Same (New NICHD). Status changed to "Council Review Completed." ERA status codes crosswalk makes it look like this status is the new 'Selected", but I guess we'll know for sure soon!
Same for me (New NICHD). Status changed to "Council review completed." I didn't check my status until I saw these posts, so unclear when it was changed. It does say "Status Date 3/31/2022," though. I checked my F32, and the status date was one day before the day I got my email. Still no email for me...

I contacted my PO and got this response:

I’m sorry for the confusion but the change in status to "council review completed" doesn’t imply anything new about your application. As stated at https://www.lrp.nih.gov/faqs , “LRP applicants are informed of final funding decisions into September.”

If additional financial info is needed before then, we will contact you by email, which could be anytime from June through late September.

If you want feedback on your review, please wait until you we notify you of your funding decision before contacting me.

Hang in there!

I also submitted a renewal; my current award is up in July. Sure am hoping to hear before Sept!

I contacted my PO and got this response:

I’m sorry for the confusion but the change in status to "council review completed" doesn’t imply anything new about your application. As stated at https://www.lrp.nih.gov/faqs , “LRP applicants are informed of final funding decisions into September.”

If additional financial info is needed before then, we will contact you by email, which could be anytime from June through late September.

If you want feedback on your review, please wait until you we notify you of your funding decision before contacting me.

Hang in there!
Good to know, and thank you for this info! It will definitely be disappointing if we don't get any indication of funding before September. Will be curious if/when folks start to hear about financial info.

Just for fyi NIMHD (niddk secondary) renewal here, changed to "council review completed"....

FYI my NCATS (second renewal, clinical) changed to "council review completed" and I just got a financial review notification. So perhaps it is the same thing as "selected"?

curious if other folks got financial review also? my loans are federal/consolidated...not sure if that makes a difference w/ a renewal

Status changed to "council review completed" on 3/31/22 for a 3rd renewal at NICHD but haven't received notice of financial review. I don't think that this change in status is the same as "selected". Just thinking of R-level NIH grants, if they get discussed at study section (~50% of grants, even if the impact score is not in the fundable range), they will get an updated status of "council review complete". Grants that don't make the cut at study section will be updated to "Not Discussed". I don't know for LRPs if anyone is getting a "Not Discussed" status update or not.

New application to NIDCR - status changed to "Council Review Completed" on 4/1/22, emailed for financial review on 4/11/22, vetting completed 4/28/22 and no change in status since.

So looks like NIDCR and NCATS have emailed folks for financial review. Any applicants for other institutes receive requests for financial review yet? Haven't heard from NICHD...looking at my past applications, received email about financial review on 5/21/20, 5/9/18, and 5/12/16.

So looks like NIDCR and NCATS have emailed folks for financial review. Any applicants for other institutes receive requests for financial review yet? Haven't heard from NICHD...looking at my past applications, received email about financial review on 5/21/20, 5/9/18, and 5/12/16.
Haven’t heard anything from other institutes. I logged into status today to check if there had been any changes and I now have the option to upload financial information. Does anyone know if this happens for all applications or is this a good sign that a formal request for financial review is coming?

Haven’t heard anything from other institutes. I logged into status today to check if there had been any changes and I now have the option to upload financial information. Does anyone know if this happens for all applications or is this a good sign that a formal request for financial review is coming?

Which institute did you apply to? I don't see any change on mine. Where do you see the option?

NIAAA CR New - Status changed to "Council review completed" on 4/28/2022; Recieved financial review email on 5/13/2022.

NIDA. The option is on the main page where you can see the other info re: your submission.
Just curious - is your NIDA application new or a renewal? Applied for a NIDA renewal and not sure whether renewals get a financial review email?

NIMH (HDR) new applicant. Counsel review completed 4/20 and received email notifying of selection for financial review on 5/13.

NIAID new peds applicant here — just received financial review email today 5/18. Not sure when the council review status updated

I also noticed this on my home page - I now have the option of uploading additional materials, but I haven't gotten an email about financial review. Did you end up getting an email about financial review?

Got email for financial review on 5/18. How good of an indicator is this for funding? I've been told that if it makes it to this point the odds are good but I don't want to get my hopes up prematurely