NHSC Scholarship, can you choose how many years of service?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheClutch

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's say that NHSC offered you 4 year scholarship (4 year commitment).
But then can you say that I want only 3 year scholarship (thus 3 yr commitment)?

Just curious Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Not once you've signed the contract for 4 years. I signed the contract at the time of application. They may question why you don't want the additional scholarship time, which could affect your competitiveness. If you had a reason -already have a diff. commitment, etc, I would find a way to explain. If you just don't want to spend the additional time, I wouldn't bother applying, and go LRP. NHSC tracks scholar retention after obligation fulfillment, it's one of their metrics. They don't want people who stay 2-3 years and leave, which is clear if you read criteria.

Thanks for the reply.
The reason I asked is that I will be starting a 3 year school. so I will have only 3 year tutition and living cost.but I guess this is something I should call and ask.
btw what is LRP?

Thanks for the reply.
The reason I asked is that I will be starting a 3 year school. so I will have only 3 year tutition and living cost.but I guess this is something I should call and ask.
btw what is LRP?

If you are attending a 3 year program, the maximum that you will be offered is 3 years. They won't offer you a 4 year scholarship.

LRP = Loan Repayment Program.