NHSC Scholarship App now available

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

montessori2md

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck to all of this year's applicants!

Members don't see this ad.

I have been working non-stop on this app this weekend. I really want this scholarship because I know that in my heart I really want to work in an underserved area especially after my ambulance EMT experiences in inner city stl. I have also always known I wanted to do primary care... can someone with the scholarship answer to me (by pm) something that they (people picking scholarship winners) look for in the application when they are choosing someone that did not come from a disadvantaged background?

If you search the very long thread below or the archived stuff, what you hear is:
1) I will live anywhere.
2) This is a career choice for me, not a tour of duty.
3) I work well in a multidisciplinary team (I like NPs, SWs, nurses, and anyone else who shows up for work and I listen to them).
4) $$$$ -your tuition (if it's between you and someone else who costs $20k/year less, guess who I think they'll choose?).
5) politics/geography (they won't give 40 scholarships to one state/region)
6) I am 100% sure this is what I want and I understand what that means. Ideally you can back that up with experience in an underserved setting.

It is really important that you read the info on their website thoroughly and understand it. I also recommend going through their scholar job postings, looking at websites of some of the listed sites, and get an idea of what the commitment entails. Also read the threads here about current scholar job placement experiences. It's not for everyone, and the better you can educate yourself, the better you will be able to assert in your essays that you really do know what you're getting into. Also, I think LORs matter.

I sent my supporting documents all last Tuesday and non have shown up on the website as "received." How long does it take them to process from the time they receive it before it shows up as Received?