New York Optho?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snoopdizzle

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I noticed that New York doesn't have a top ranking optho hosptial except for the NY Ear and Eye Infirmary. Are they affiliated with a medical school? Also, are there any big shots at Cornell? It doesn't seem to be anything special for opthalmology.

How does one get a feel for who is a big name in optho? I would like to get in early with a respectable opthalmologist and do some work with them right off the bat. Could I go elsewhere in NY for this?

Any advice would be awesome.

Members don't see this ad.

First off snoopdizzle, spell ophthalmology correctly. That's one thing that will get any ophthalmologist upset. I spelled it wrong at first and my mentor quickly corrected me. You'll get your application thrown into the garbage for that mistake. To answer your question, ask your student affairs dean about the ophtho docs at your school, they will have an idea who would be someone that would be good to work with. Then once you get in /c one of the ophthalmologist, he/she will help you find someone else that you should work with so you can get two LOR from ophtho docs, at that time they will be able to refer you to someone prominent. Also, do a lit search, see how much someone has published, that's also a good indicator.

I'm talking about before.