New York City/Brooklyn Residency Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CATSandKILOS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey - searching the forums and residency reviews came up short on this topic. Anyone have any information on New York residency programs? It is hard to find information on this site and from older classmates.

Specifically any of these...
New York Methodist, Brooklyn Hospital Center, Interfaith, Lenox Hill, or the NYU Hospital Center?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Without being specific, I believe that too many of the NYC programs are beyond poor. They often have clinics run by the residents as a source of surgical victims for the residency director or attendings. Yes, I used the term victims.

Some of the worst surgical outcomes I’ve ever seen come out of these programs (I am not being specific to any program named) and the amount of unnecessary surgery being performed is astounding and nauseating.

Members don't see this ad :)
Without being specific, I believe that too many of the NYC programs are beyond poor. They often have clinics run by the residents as a source of surgical victims for the residency director or attendings. Yes, I used the term victims.

Some of the worst surgical outcomes I’ve ever seen come out of these programs (I am not being specific to any program named) and the amount of unnecessary surgery being performed is astounding and nauseating.

Is it possible that the programs you knew about were poor at that time but might have changed positively now?
Any thoughts on Lombardi's program?
Thanks.

Another way to think about it is to consider how many foot and ankle orthopods are in practice in the state. That will give you an idea of what cases are (or aren’t) going to the podiatrists. And then consider how saturated the state is with podiatrists. Basically the higher number of pods per population, the less surgical volume per podiatrist.

Hey - searching the forums and residency reviews came up short on this topic. Anyone have any opinions or thoughts on the New York residency programs? It is hard to find information on this site and from older classmates.

Specifically any of these...
New York Methodist, Brooklyn Hospital Center, Interfaith, Lenox Hill, or the NYU Hospital Center?

Thank you!

I’ll bite. An anonymous friend of mine clerked at New York Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist Hospital. Anything ankle-related goes straight to Ortho so better hope they “let” you get heavily involved during the case. Forget about doing anything skin-to-skin even on simple forefoot podiatry cases. My friend never once saw anyone do a skin-to-skin case. Their clinic is absolutely pitiful in terms of resources and teaching..the residents seemed to be completely checked out from the situation each time texting, gossiping, or sleep. People rarely rank this program as they tend to scramble positions every year. The 3rd year residents received some pretty dismal job offers such as nursing home toe-nail clippings and many still without a clue if they even have a job.

Hope that helps.

So as a future resident, if we are asked to do unnecessary surgery or forced to schedule unnecessary surgery, what is the best course of action?

Is it possible that the programs you knew about were poor at that time but might have changed positively now?
Any thoughts on Lombardi's program?
Thanks.

The answer is no. I’m basing my opinion on the current state of events at many of these programs. They are filled with low quality attendings who will cut anything at anytime. Many should be banned from the OR. They prey on vulnerable and uneducated Medicaid patients and have the residents see the patients in clinics and they grab the cases there.

I review cases for legal issues and I am disgusted at what I see coming out of these programs.

Lombardi is the exception and is a quality guy. He’s not one of the thieves.

So as a future resident, if we are asked to do unnecessary surgery or forced to schedule unnecessary surgery, what is the best course of action?

Pass wind in the OR and they’ll ask you to leave.

I’ll bite. An anonymous friend of mine clerked at New York Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist Hospital. Anything ankle-related goes straight to Ortho so better hope they “let” you get heavily involved during the case. Forget about doing anything skin-to-skin even on simple forefoot podiatry cases. My friend never once saw anyone do a skin-to-skin case. Their clinic is absolutely pitiful in terms of resources and teaching..the residents seemed to be completely checked out from the situation each time texting, gossiping, or sleep. People rarely rank this program as they tend to scramble positions every year. The 3rd year residents received some pretty dismal job offers such as nursing home toe-nail clippings and many still without a clue if they even have a job.

Hope that helps.

This is just Sad!

Hope that helps.

No surprises there.

Hope that helps.

As a current senior resident at the NYP- Brooklyn Methodist program I feel like I need to respond to this extremely negative perception of my program and provide some truth. I have a decent idea of who your "friend" is, and can see why they may be spreading these rumors about our program. If it is who I think it is, he failed out of our program after less than 2 weeks due to his work ethic. But I am only here to give my experience and defend my program, as I feel it is warranted.

- Our orthopedics relationship has got to be one of the best I have seen. Our hospital does not have Ortho residents so anything below the tibial tuberosity is the podiatry residents responsibility to cover. We scrub every case with them and our ortho attendings let us get as involved as we want to be, which mostly depends on their comfort with a specific resident. Obviously, some cases are more complicated and we are there to assist them. At the end of the day we are here to learn and our ortho attendings provide us with exceptional experiences.

- I have done many skin to skin cases during my time here. I am graduating with great numbers which are exclusively first assist. I am graduating being very comfortable doing the majority of cases I will come across including trauma. Again, the amount you get to do in the OR as a resident depends on the comfort level of the attending with you.

-We have multiple clinical experiences. We have an in hospital clinic twice per week in the mornings. We definitely are not a clinic heavy program but we do see anywhere between 20-30 patients within 3 hours on those clinic days. We also go to our director and assistant directors clinics on a rotating basis. The senior residents may be the ones your friend saw being "checked out" as our clinic is mainly run by the 1st and 2nd year residents with the seniors there to assist when necessary. I would say its safe to say that most 3rd year residents at other programs are likely also checked out at this point, just sayin'

- Lastly, the jobs that the current residents are securing or not, is of no importance to anyone other than the resident accepting the position. Everyone has different priorities in life and interests in the field. And to be transparent, all 5 of us have received multiple job offers and will be going into private practice all over the country.

I don't believe your "friends" experience is the norm. We are a very busy program with a great relationship with all services within the hospital. We are one of the very few programs that is able to admit our own patients to a podiatry service. We manage these patients in all aspects of their care. We are expected to perform at a level equivalent to our MD and DO counterparts. We are also seen as the most respected service at our hospital. I do not think anyone should take the words of your "friend" as gospel and come see the program for themselves. We treat our externs with respect and expect a lot out of them. We want them to have the best experience and learn as much as possible during their time here. Again, I am sorry your "friend" had the experience they did. If anyone ever has any questions or concerns about our program feel free to message me.

Reactions: 6 users
As a current senior resident at the NYP- Brooklyn Methodist program I feel like I need to respond to this extremely negative perception of my program and provide some truth. I have a decent idea of who your "friend" is, and can see why they may be spreading these rumors about our program. If it is who I think it is, he failed out of our program after less than 2 weeks due to his work ethic. But I am only here to give my experience and defend my program, as I feel it is warranted.

- Our orthopedics relationship has got to be one of the best I have seen. Our hospital does not have Ortho residents so anything below the tibial tuberosity is the podiatry residents responsibility to cover. We scrub every case with them and our ortho attendings let us get as involved as we want to be, which mostly depends on their comfort with a specific resident. Obviously, some cases are more complicated and we are there to assist them. At the end of the day we are here to learn and our ortho attendings provide us with exceptional experiences.

- I have done many skin to skin cases during my time here. I am graduating with great numbers which are exclusively first assist. I am graduating being very comfortable doing the majority of cases I will come across including trauma. Again, the amount you get to do in the OR as a resident depends on the comfort level of the attending with you.

-We have multiple clinical experiences. We have an in hospital clinic twice per week in the mornings. We definitely are not a clinic heavy program but we do see anywhere between 20-30 patients within 3 hours on those clinic days. We also go to our director and assistant directors clinics on a rotating basis. The senior residents may be the ones your friend saw being "checked out" as our clinic is mainly run by the 1st and 2nd year residents with the seniors there to assist when necessary. I would say its safe to say that most 3rd year residents at other programs are likely also checked out at this point, just sayin'

- Lastly, the jobs that the current residents are securing or not, is of no importance to anyone other than the resident accepting the position. Everyone has different priorities in life and interests in the field. And to be transparent, all 5 of us have received multiple job offers and will be going into private practice all over the country.

I don't believe your "friends" experience is the norm. We are a very busy program with a great relationship with all services within the hospital. We are one of the very few programs that is able to admit our own patients to a podiatry service. We manage these patients in all aspects of their care. We are expected to perform at a level equivalent to our MD and DO counterparts. We are also seen as the most respected service at our hospital. I do not think anyone should take the words of your "friend" as gospel and come see the program for themselves. We treat our externs with respect and expect a lot out of them. We want them to have the best experience and learn as much as possible during their time here. Again, I am sorry your "friend" had the experience they did. If anyone ever has any questions or concerns about our program feel free to message me.

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed and informative response. We need more first hand experience on sdn. Too often negative rumors are spread from misinformation. The posts on SDN are read by many but only a few people post so it is especially nice to have someone post that is actually a resident at the residency in question.

Thanks again and good luck with your future career!

Reactions: 2 users

Thanks for the positive feedback. Looking back at my third year, I wish there was more information for students when it comes to picking externships. We select programs right after boards when we haven't even really been in clinic. A lot of information is spread through word of mouth. Depending on where your school is, its difficult to know about certain areas of the country.