Other New spots because of this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swampurt

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Screenshot_20200421-010129.jpg

Self explanatory. What does this mean for IMGs?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I do not think it will affect the matched candidates who are IMG's at all. I am very sure of this. The matched candidates will get to start residency at the right time as scheduled

I read the news but it only mentions immigrant visas and H1/J1 are non-immigrant visas. I really doubt it will affect the non US Citizens. But if it includes those visas as well then a lot of residency programs are screwed. It would really suck for someone to lose a residency spot due to this.

Members don't see this ad :)
In Corona era everything is possible .....
Hospitals and private outpatient clinics are losing revenue .....Mayo Clinic is cutting 10 % of Physician salaries and many others doing the same. Here in Texas, for the first time in history oil price in negative......so saving jobs is very important at this time.

For PDs, please do not take anything for granted and do not assume your all matched IMG will be here on July first, so act proactively and offer unmatched AMG and US based IMG one year position as TY or preliminary as ACGME recommended and here is a link to ACGME statement link:

The above news article only mentions the immigrant visas. So the matched candidates will surely start rightfully, as they are on non-immigrant visas.

I find it so annoying to see threads here often now- candidates who have not matched, hoping the matched candidates do not get the spot that they worked hard for. I am an IMG too, but this is ridiculous.

Please realize they were in the same boat as the current unmatched group. And they worked hard. So the right way is to work hard again and get a spot. That is the right thing to do.

And PDS know that the matched candidates will start at the correct time.

Reactions: 2 users
Also as far as I know there is no issue with residents joining, and the visa process IS going on, as its crucial for them to start

Sorry @NGmona your feeling that way but it is scenario that some PDs might face in the near future and they have to act proactively and ACGME is giving them another route as well. Nothing wrong here and everyone is hoping matched IMG will be able to get to US soil on time.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
Well, I don't think PDS will have anything to worry about candidates getting their rightful spots. I have discussed this with one of the PD's. Like I mentioned it only says, immigrant visas. The correct route is applying for the coming match 2020-2021. I just want to stress to work on your profile for next year, and ACGME is not giving them the route you mentioned. The link you shared does NOT mention this if you read clearly.

-It mentions if you volunteer as a non -GME medical worker,
-Then ACGME-accredited Sponsoring Institutions that permit programs to appoint unmatched/uncommitted graduates as the above " non-GME worker", consistent with their programs’/Sponsoring Institutions’ match participation agreements, must offer at least 1 year of appointment in an ACGME-accredited program (if eligible per ACGME requirements).
-Any such appointments must be reviewed and approved in advance by the Sponsoring Institution’s Graduate Medical Education Committee (GMEC). Enrollment in preliminary year positions, categorical positions, and positions in Transitional Year programs may be appropriate in this circumstance.

1. If the program would be within its approved complement, an appointment in an ACGME-accredited program may proceed.
  2. If the program would not be within its approved complement, Review Committee approval of a temporary complement increase must be obtained prior to appointment in an ACGME-accredited program. Approval of temporary complement increases, when required, must be obtained by programs of Sponsoring Institutions that have declared pandemic emergency status (Stage 3).
Read stage 3 as well, If still not clear call ACGME. the above is applicable for the unmatched candidates who volunteered as non-GME medical workers

It DOES NOT mention the route, some unmatched candidates are hoping for, I just advise prepare your profile for next match, and PDs are well
aware that the residents will be starting at the appointed time

Every matched candidate was in the current unmatched candidate's shoes, and they worked hard to get their current spots. (IMG or US graduate).

No one is wishing anything against the FMGs. I really hope everyone gets to start residency on time. But this whole covid outbreak is unpredictable. If things don’t calm down by early June and god forbids there is a second wave of the outbreak, things will get complicated. The PDs will have to take a call, even if the visas are not suspended there are other factors that can prevent an applicant from starting on time such as air travel ban in their respective home country, delay in visa processing, etc.

The travel bans are still up and running....

Members don't see this ad :)
Though I am not a FMG, I still don’t want to see a matched candidate regardless of their status losing a spot due to this. The ACGME/ECFMG must do something to protect the spots of already matched candidates. But as others mentioned, anything can happen and in the end it will be the PDs call as it won’t be a match violation if they decide to give the spot to someone if an applicant is unable to start on time.

PDs are well aware the visas they are referring to are the ' immigrant visa ' But again advise to unmatched candidates is to work on your profile for the next match/coming match and not to go by the forums/posts. If you have a doubt call ACGME/ECFMG. As far as I know, my friends who have matched are starting at the correct time and there is no issue with visa processing. So don't look at these posts/forums out there. Call directly as this will mislead you. PDS are aware residents will start as well. I feel bad for the people who have not matched but work on your profile for the coming 2020/2021 match. All the best in getting a spot in the right way. Anyway after this its your call

Though I am not a FMG, I still don’t want to see a matched candidate regardless of their status losing a spot due to this. The ACGME/ECFMG must do something to protect the spots of already matched candidates. But as others mentioned, anything can happen and in the end it will be the PDs call as it won’t be a match violation if they decide to give the spot to someone if an applicant is unable to start on time.
Dont worry they wont lose the spot

Hospitals and private outpatient clinics are losing revenue .....Mayo Clinic is cutting 10 % of Physician salaries and many others doing the same. Here in Texas, for the first time in history oil price in negative......so saving jobs is very important at this time.

For PDs, please do not take anything for granted and do not assume your all matched IMG will be here on July first, so act proactively and offer unmatched AMG and US based IMG one year position as TY or preliminary as ACGME recommended and here is a link to ACGME statement link:
I’m gonna call this a really crappy thing to suggest

I‘m actually gonna talk to my gme dept and specifically request that they don’t do this if any our people matched were IMGs. They earned those spots fairly and I’d rather pull some extra shifts than watch them get shafted by some opportunism

you gotta watch your karma in life sir/ma’am, this is not a good look

@Sb247you are right, but I am very sure that the residents will rightfully start their training.

I have many friends who did not match and I feel very sad . But trying to make a way and take advantage of the current situation to get spots it’s wrong. I know how hard it was me and for all who matched to get the spot. They were in exactly the same spot as the current unmatched candidates once.

Regardless it won’t add affect these matched candidates.

Check out the pic

Attachments

• D49BDC8A-DF34-4772-9E8B-077814D83C1A.jpeg
    D49BDC8A-DF34-4772-9E8B-077814D83C1A.jpeg
    129.1 KB · Views: 87

“”The link you shared does NOT mention what you think, if you read clearly.

-It mentions if you volunteer as a non -GME medical worker
-Then ACGME-accredited Sponsoring Institutions that permit programs to appoint unmatched/uncommitted graduates as the above " non-GME worker", consistent with their programs’/Sponsoring Institutions’ match participation agreements, must offer at least 1 year of appointment in an ACGME-accredited program (if eligible per ACGME requirements).
-Any such appointments must be reviewed and approved in advance by the Sponsoring Institution’s Graduate Medical Education Committee (GMEC). Enrollment in preliminary year positions, categorical positions, and positions in Transitional Year programs may be appropriate in this circumstance.

1. If the program would be within its approved complement, an appointment in an ACGME-accredited program may proceed.
  2. If the program would not be within its approved complement, Review Committee approval of a temporary complement increase must be obtained prior to appointment in an ACGME-accredited program. Approval of temporary complement increases, when required, must be obtained by programs of Sponsoring Institutions that have declared pandemic emergency status (Stage 3).
Read stage 3 as well, If still not clear call ACGME. the above is applicable for the unmatched candidates who volunteered as non-GME medical workers

It DOES NOT mention the route, some unmatched candidates are hoping for, I just advise prepare your profile for next match, and PDs are well
aware that the residents will be starting at the appointed time

PDs are well aware and the current residents in programs will make sure of that

Keep in mind individual countries also have travel bans to the US and vice versa as well. There very well could be ALOT more open spots coming this summer.

And alot of people (unmatched) are hoping and looking forward to that.

Last edited:
My office has confirmed under no circumstance will they drop/replace a matched img due to a travel ban. We will wait it out if needed and honor the commitment to our future residents

Reactions: 5 users
My office has confirmed under no circumstance will they drop/replace a matched img due to a travel ban. We will wait it out if needed and honor the commitment to our future residents

How long will your office wait? If someone cannot fulfill the spot and an agreement due to external circumstances, then another person will need to take his or her place. I know that this process is complicated, but seems to be a disservice if a residency program cannot fill a spot when an unmatched person is able and ready to take the spot should this happen.

How long will your office wait? If someone cannot fulfill the spot and an agreement due to external circumstances, then another person will need to take his or her place. I know that this process is complicated, but seems to be a disservice if a residency program cannot fill a spot when an unmatched person is able and ready to take the spot should this happen.
We filled the spot. We aren’t going to abandon those who matched.

@NGmona please read carefully # 4 of ACGME statement, it states: “If the program would be within its approved complement, appointment in an ACGME-accredited program may proceed”.....i think you might have missed this line.

I totally understand your feeling for your friends and I wish they will be here on time.....but PDs have to prepare for the worst case scenario otherwise they will fail to fulfill their responsibilities......they might face this question: why you did not prepare? Why you do not have plan B?
At the end of the day PDs need to run GME program properly (provide service to the communities), otherwise they may get replaced ......never take anything for granted.

We filled the spot. We aren’t going to abandon those who matched.

You just said....you will wait....
If the person cannot fulfill his or her duties...what then?

I’m gonna call this a really crappy thing to suggest

I‘m actually gonna talk to my gme dept and specifically request that they don’t do this if any our people matched were IMGs. They earned those spots fairly and I’d rather pull some extra shifts than watch them get shafted by some opportunism

you gotta watch your karma in life sir/ma’am, this is not a good look
That’s your opinion!
Good for you for taking extra shift with extra $, but hypothetically if there is travel ban on July and August, the question is, for how long you will be able to do that and for how many IMGs you gonna cover?
I am sorry that you are not in touch with reality.
Currently everything is fluid, everyone has to act wisely and be proactive.

That’s your opinion!
Good for you for taking extra shift with extra $, but hypothetically if there is travel ban on July and August, the question is, for how long you will be able to do that and for how many IMGs you gonna cover?
I am sorry that you are not in touch with reality.
Currently everything is fluid, everyone has to act wisely and be proactive.
Not paid extra to cover for a teammate. It’s just the right thing to do. I’d gladly burn the time to take care of a co-resident getting screwed by circumstance

Not paid extra to cover for a teammate. It’s just the right thing to do. I’d gladly burn the time to take care of a co-resident getting screwed by circumstance
At the end of the day you are one person and you cannot cover for everyone.......please be realistic and practical!

Nope. Don't cover for everyone all the time. That is a lesson that must be learned in residency.

• Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.