Employment & Professional Networking New OT Working Part Time - Yay or Nay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SmilesAllAround12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm wondering if it is typical for new OT grads to go right into a full time position, or if some start out part time. Like do employers looking to fill a part time OT position prefer a seasoned OT or are okay with a new grad?

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of OTs I have been with initially went full time. But they go part time or per diem when they have kids. They say its enough for them. Most of these people have young kids and family responsibilities. Mangers told me they consider FWII students to hire if they are interested and assuming they worked well.

Haven't seen any dudes yet to comment on, but I'm planning for full time employment.

I don't see how being a new graduate would prevent you from being hired for a full time job. In every other business, people are hired out of school for full-time work, so I don't believe that OT is any different. Now, some facilities may not have full time positions available (if they don't have the money, for example), so as a new grad, you may have to take what you can get.

Thanks for your replies! For some reason several people have told me that it's better for new OT grads to go right into full time work because it's the quickest way to gain experience. I was told that if I start out part time right out of school and then go full time later, it might be harder to find a full time position versus if I worked full time right out of school. Just wanted to get more opinions on this.