New Orleans OMFS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LSU-Cowboy

Resident
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What have people heard about LSU New Orleans OMFS program? What are everyone's thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I received an interview from them last week via email. After confirming my interview dates, I also took the liberty to find out more info from the Program director. First, LSU NO OMFS initially had thought about pulling out of Match, then they decided to stay with Match. Secondly, LSU NO OMFS is inviting up to 20 applicants for 3 or 4 spots this year. The interview will be held at Baton Rouge this year.

LSU NO OMFS has a lot planned for the future and everyone is pretty excited about the new changes or additions. The old Charity Hospital is gone and the city does not plans on remodeling it or ever reopen it. There are talks about opening a new Charity (smaller version) hospital either buy out smaller hospitals in NO or building new one completely. None of this is confirmed.

Regardless of the situation at Charity, I still strongly believe in LSU NO OMFS's clinical training tradition and for that, this program remains as one of my top choices. I'll be there on 12/5 and 12/6, will anyone of you be there? I'm pretty excited about this interview as I can revisit with a lot of the residents and faculty members that I learned from during my externship there.

:thumbup:

LSU-Cowboy said:
What have people heard about LSU New Orleans OMFS program? What are everyone's thoughts?

Why don't you tell us what's up. I would sure like to know. The letter sent out almost made it sound like it's a good thing charity is gone which I don't think anyone can believe.

Members don't see this ad :)
UNLV OMS WANABE said:
Why don't you tell us what's up. I would sure like to know. The letter sent out almost made it sound like it's a good thing charity is gone which I don't think anyone can believe.

Bro,

The situation isn't that bad. I mean....our main trauma hospital (Charity) is outta commission. I personally loved Charity. I mean.. we had 2 set operating days....but, we operated every night and every weekend for trauma. This was mainly done by an intern and a 4th yr. At LSU...interns cut the trauma with usually the 4th year. Right now we aren't operating at night because Charity isn't here. But the trauma and cases are still coming to us in BR. Our lives have been inconvenienced because of the move...especially housing...but things are much better than before. I think in the next 4-6 months things should be back on track. As for me, I don't feel I'm losing out on any surgical experience.....since I've been put on anesthesia with this whole fiasco. I came to LSU because of the surgical experience....I wanted to cut...there are very "few" programs where you're operating with an upper level at 2am and he hands you the scalpel to cut either half or the entire case (trauma that is). LSU-NO isn't going to change in that respect. In time, we'll be back on track and things will go back to normal.

LSU-Cowboy said:

I heard they were partial to good looking cubans. :love: :love:

TradeSosa said:
I heard they were partial to good looking cubans. :love: :love:

My man...the Pacific Northwest bandit.....anesthesia is wonderful....I miss my upper level at 2am in the OR scream at me "For the love of God...."