Position Available New Emergency Medicine Residency at Level 1 Trauma Center in Phoenix, Arizona

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Matthew N. Graber

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
We are are happy to announce that our new program is welcoming students to apply for an EM residency position.

The Abrazo Health Network Emergency Medicine Residency Program is based in a multi-hospital system in the Phoenix metro area. Our primary site is the Abrazo West Campus, a level 1 trauma center, STEMI and stroke center, with multi-specialty back up. We will be reviewed by the ACGME for accreditation in January, 2020 and are confident that we will receive accreditation to take our first class in July, 2020. As we are not able to participate in ERAS, we are accepting applications via email and plan to begin interviews in late October. Upon accreditation, we will join the regular NRMP. We are a 1-3 year program taking 6 residents per year.

Please email [email protected] for further information regarding the program, application process, and any other questions.

We will reply with more information about the program and detailed application steps.

Please note: We are unable to interview candidates who require visa support at this time.

Best of luck with the application process. We look forward to meeting many of you!

Matthew Graber, MD PhD, Program Director
Glareh Imani, DO, Associate Program Director

Abrazo Health Network Emergency Medicine
Phoenix, Arizona

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I cannot speak for this particular program. Yet, I have seen the situation where a new program will not hire someone with previous ACGME experience despite having enough years of funding due to a vague Medicare rule. For example, someone who does a prelim surgery year has earmarked 4 more years of funding with the US gov on the assumption that they will do five years of surgery. That funding starts at the hospital he or she did the prelim year at. Supposedly, new programs run the risk of having a violation with Medicare if they take a person who had a preliminary year elsewhere due to a vague rule that implies the new program is piggybacking off the established program's funding. With such a violation, the fear is that the new GME office loses funding with Medicare for all residents that have been working there. So, new programs do not want to take the risk.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I cannot speak for this particular program. Yet, I have seen the situation where a new program will not hire someone with previous ACGME experience despite having enough years of funding due to a vague Medicare rule. For example, someone who does a prelim surgery year has earmarked 4 more years of funding with the US gov on the assumption that they will do five years of surgery. That funding starts at the hospital he or she did the prelim year at. Supposedly, new programs run the risk of having a violation with Medicare if they take a person who had a preliminary year elsewhere due to a vague rule that implies the new program is piggybacking off the established program's funding. With such a violation, the fear is that the new GME office loses funding with Medicare for all residents that have been working there. So, new programs do not want to take the risk.

Does that mean that all new residency programs will not consider any applicants with previous ACGME training? @aProgDirector is this accurate?

Does that mean that all new residency programs will not consider any applicants with previous ACGME training? @aProgDirector is this accurate?

I would not say all programs. Yet, it is a decision that can be made by the GME office or regional GME office of a hospital system. I mentioned it because I want other applicants to be aware that it happens. It can give you the opportunity to ask the program if they take people with previous experience and save your money.

I have not heard of this. The explanation is likely very simple -- it is correct that residents in their IRP (initial residency period) count as a 1.0 FTE resident for the purposes of Medicare funding, and those outside of this only count as 0.5. If you have prior training, then calculating your IRP is critical as mis-billing is Medicare fraud, and billing only 0.5 FTE would be a large loss of revenue for a new program. There is no way to "look up" a resident's IRP or funding status. Hence, it's much easier for new programs to take only those without GME experience to ensure they get full funding. This won't just be for the 1st year -- programs get locked into their funding at the 5 year mark, so it will be critical for the program to ensure a full cohort of fully funded residents.