New CBSE Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuxDrugs&Rocuronium

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just took the CBSE for the second time today. Last time I got a three digit score but it looks like now it’s will be a % correct score. Anyone have any ideas on how these will equate or what score will be considered good with the new scoring system?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Think it’s just a range of how you fair in particular subject matter. Not entirely sure how it’ll play out just yet, but I’m sure there’s a method to this madness from PDs and med school admissions committees.

I have no actual knowledge except having just taken some CBSEs prior to Step as my med school portion of residency. The new system gives an equated percent score and tells you the likelyhood of passing step if you were to take it within a week knowing what you know now.

It seems that these two digit scores are much lower than the two scores in the past.

For example previously a 69/70 would be similar to a 196 on Step 1 which is considered passing.

On these new CBSEs a 66 gives you a 95% chance of passing step. Which would be ridiculous if it was based on the original scoring. A 66 would probably be closer to like a 74 if they are giving you that high of a percentage of passing. Meanwhile a 55 gives somewhere in the range of a 50% chance of passing which to me would put you at that 70 or 196 figure. Essentially its a coin toss if you will do slightly better or worse if you took it again.

This is all speculation on my end and if anyone has actual answers please correct me. Good luck to new applicants convincing programs that a 55 is the new 70 if thats the case.

Reactions: 2 users