New application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
J

JR

Hello everyone,

I am a long-term visitor to the board, but never actually came around to posting. Since the new application cycle has already begun, I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread of general questions/concerns about the actual application process. And maybe Andrew can help us out with his excellent advice as he usually does. BTW, Andrew, one of my good friends just matched at you school for next year (the one with the blurry picture on UI website :) ).

I have one specific question for now: can anyone clarify for me the deal with PS page in the application. The instructions say that you can use font no less than 10, but the application itself is preset for 12. How can you change it to 10. Or do they refer to printing out a blank PS page and then refeeding it with your PS set to 10?

I really appreciate input on this,

JR

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by JR
Hello everyone,

I am a long-term visitor to the board, but never actually came around to posting. Since the new application cycle has already begun, I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread of general questions/concerns about the actual application process. And maybe Andrew can help us out with his excellent advice as he usually does. BTW, Andrew, one of my good friends just matched at you school for next year (the one with the blurry picture on UI website :) ).

I have one specific question for now: can anyone clarify for me the deal with PS page in the application. The instructions say that you can use font no less than 10, but the application itself is preset for 12. How can you change it to 10. Or do they refer to printing out a blank PS page and then refeeding it with your PS set to 10?

I really appreciate input on this,

JR

JR,

Is it time to apply already? Time really flies... :)

Where did your friend with the blurry picture match for his PGY-1? I heard he was planning to come here for his preliminary year, but I haven't heard any confirmations.

In regards to the font size, some people printed out a blank PS page and then refed it with the PS set to 10. This is what I did when I applied.

Do you still print out the application forms before sending it to CAS or is it completely electronic now?

I have spoken in a while- he is busy w/graduation, etc. I think he ended up staying at our school for prelim, but that is not 100%.

You do need to print out the application, which I think is to our advantage. I think I will end up following your advice and use the 10 font.

Andrew, if you don't mind, another couple of questions- I know that the target date is Sep 4th, but is there any advantage in sending the application early. My application is pretty much ready, so I was thinking of sending it in a couple of weeks. Do you think it's a good idea?

Also, I am having trouble w/school selection. The top schools is easy, but the middle/bottom-of-the-list schools are the ones that are hard to select. What do you look for? When a school sends you their pamphlet- it all seems like peaches and cream, but I know that's not the case w/most schools. Do you have any thoughts on that?

And lastly, what is the deal w.the 4th LOR. The CAS instructions make it sound like you need to prvide proof that it's a letter from a late externship. So using that route to send just an additional letter won't work?

I really appreciate your help on this

Members don't see this ad :)
There's little advantage to sending in your application early. Just send it in before the Sept. deadline.

In regards to programs, talk to the program director at your school and other residents. Some programs not in the top 10 to consider: Oregon, U. of Washington, UC Irvine, UT Southwestern, U Penn, and Michigan. I only applied to 13 programs, so I am not much help here. I found that the best thing to do is visit the program if asked to interview. This will help greatly.

I didn't send a 4th LOR, so I'm not completely familiar with the regulations in regards to the 4th letter. I only sent 3 LORs: one from my thesis research advisor, one from a pediatrics professor, and one from a neuro-ophthalmology professor.