New accreditation requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmail

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have a couple of questions...
So my understanding, starting 2023, there are new accreditation requirements for foreign medical schools:

And my understanding that not very mane schools applied for the accreditation.

1) First question:
These are the agencies that will be doing accreditation of foreign medical schools, correct?

2) Second question:
So, just because a school is accredited by World Directory of Medical Schools in 2023 that wont be enough?

3) Third question:
Are there any other agencies that a school will be required to get an accreditation from?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

These new rules do not make any difference for anyone entering foreign med school before 2023.
I wrote to ECFMG ( you should ask them directly too , write to [email protected]). Below is their reply.

"Any medical student or graduate, as long as their school meets ECFMG’s current requirements, may apply for ECFMG Certification before 2023 and fall under our current policies. It doesn’t matter when you will graduate – what matters is when you apply for ECFMG Certification. If you apply before 2023, you will not be impacted by the requirement.

To confirm that your medical school meets ECFMG’s current requirements, access the World Directory at www.wdoms.org. Medical schools that meet ECFMG’s requirements will have a note stating this in the schools’ World Directory listing under “Sponsor Notes.” See also this guide on how to confirm that a medical school meets eligibility requirements (pdf).

If you are already enrolled in an acceptable school, you can apply for ECFMG Certification now or anytime before 2023. You cannot take the USMLE exams, however, until you have completed 2 years of medical school. Once you have completed 2 years of medical school, you may begin taking the exams whenever you are ready. If you wish, you can apply before 2023 and not take an exam until after 2023.

For more on the 2023 Accreditation Requirement, please see this page of the ECFMG website: www.ecfmg.org/accreditation."

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am very glad you replied, Cal2MD.
Thank you so much!
So, do I understand correctly, even if I graduate in 2026 or 2030 or whatever..., as long as I entered a medical school before 2023 and applied for ECFMG certification before 2023, new accreditation rules do not affect me?

I forgot to ask you: when can one sign up for the ECFMG Certification ? Does one have to wait till their are done with year one of a med school?
? Or can one just sign up for the ECFMG Certification on a first day of med school?

Thats great news! Thank you soooo much!