Never having to repay loans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

s0m3guy68

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just my random ponderings here. I know someone has had to have thought of this before and I'd just like to know the reasoning behind it...

That said, the school loans for most of us here are going to be several thousand a month. Just for the sake of easy math, lets say you paid $2,000 a month for 12 months comes to $24,000. However, if you went to a community college and signed up for 6 credit hours each semester that'd cost probably less than $100 a credit or $1,200 for the year. If you are looking at $250k in loans like most MDs or PharmDs are, you'd have to pay $1,200 a year for 208 years before you'd come close to that $250 (and that doesn't even consider interest). So, the question is, why don't you hear of people doing this? I'm sure some view it as unethical, but for those that don't, what stops them from doing it?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think I understand your question. Can you rephrase it?

Maybe they're sick of school, but knock your socks off.

Members don't see this ad :)
The OP is saying you don't have to pay back your loans until you finish your grace period after you finish school ends, why not just continue school forever since the payment for school would be cheaper than the student loan payments.

It's compounding stupid. Realize the debt you take on for student loans has to be repaid at some point, and will continue to accrue interest while you are not paying it down. You cannot bankrupt it, and they can garnish your tax returns, and your wages without suing you.

Good luck to you, Sir.

Unfortunately, in addition to the interest-related issues already mentioned, there is often a limit on how long you can do in-school deferment - at least on private loans. I actually just posted asking for advice about my troubles related to this. I was working on pre-reqs for grad school, got accepted to grad school, and then got a surprise notice that my private loans could no longer be deferred....

Now federal loans might be another story. I still need to dig into that issue. Anyone know if federal loans have a time limit on in-school deferment?

Unfortunately, in addition to the interest-related issues already mentioned, there is often a limit on how long you can do in-school deferment - at least on private loans. I actually just posted asking for advice about my troubles related to this. I was working on pre-reqs for grad school, got accepted to grad school, and then got a surprise notice that my private loans could no longer be deferred....

Now federal loans might be another story. I still need to dig into that issue. Anyone know if federal loans have a time limit on in-school deferment?
No. I Have undergrad loans from 2010 that are still in deferment

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile