Nevada Licensing: Don't Bother

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Say No To NV

Reaction score
I graduated from residency in 2010. In ten years of practice I got medical licenses in two states (including California, which is supposedly one of the difficult ones). Almost a year ago now I accepted a one week/month job in Las Vegas.

I won't bore you with the details, but let me just state that I wish I had never, ever engaged with the Nevada Medical Board. They are worthless. (And, no, Covid-19 had almost nothing to do with their incompetence.) I have no lawsuits, have fastidious CME logs, two board certifications, only one malpractice carrier, and an uninterrupted employment history with one expired and two current hospital affiliations. Not that it matters, but I graduated from a top-20 domestic allopathic program and a separate top-20 residency. In other words, my Nevada medical license should have been nothing more than a $1500 rubber stamp.

Six months--and COUNTLESS emails, phone calls, and snail mail letters--I finally told the Nevada board where they could stick it. I'm not going to rehash reasons they found for delaying my application; I'm just going to warn young docs on this forum: be very, very sure you want to practice in Nevada for the long haul before you waste time, money, and sanity applying for a Nevada license.

If you send me a PM, I will give you the email address of their director, because I am sure you will eventually need it. He's an all right fellow who did as much as he could, but he's unable to singlehandedly overcome the department's total bureaucratic and purposeful incompetence.

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated from residency in 2010. In ten years of practice I got medical licenses in two states (including California, which is supposedly one of the difficult ones). Almost a year ago now I accepted a one week/month job in Las Vegas.

I won't bore you with the details, but let me just state that I wish I had never, ever engaged with the Nevada Medical Board. They are worthless. (And, no, Covid-19 had almost nothing to do with their incompetence.) I have no lawsuits, have fastidious CME logs, two board certifications, only one malpractice carrier, and an uninterrupted employment history with one expired and two current hospital affiliations. Not that it matters, but I graduated from a top-20 domestic allopathic program and a separate top-20 residency. In other words, my Nevada medical license should have been nothing more than a $1500 rubber stamp.

Six months--and COUNTLESS emails, phone calls, and snail mail letters--I finally told the Nevada board where they could stick it. I'm not going to rehash reasons they found for delaying my application; I'm just going to warn young docs on this forum: be very, very sure you want to practice in Nevada for the long haul before you waste time, money, and sanity applying for a Nevada license.

If you send me a PM, I will give you the email address of their director, because I am sure you will eventually need it. He's an all right fellow who did as much as he could, but he's unable to singlehandedly overcome the department's total bureaucratic and purposeful incompetence.

Cool story, dude. But don't crosspost. It's against the TOS.

Reactions: 1 user
Unfortunately, whenever I read,

I'm not going to rehash reasons they found for delaying my application;

it generally turns out that those end up being very serious reasons for delaying an application.

True story: Many years ago I ended up at some social event with a local "physician" who was complaining that the state medical board was investigating and had suspended his license for "no reason." At the end of the evening the truth came out: "no reason" was a life sentence for kidnapping.

In the late 1960's, Gary Krist kidnapped a woman and buried her alive. After serving ten years of a life sentence, he went to medical school and was granted a probationary medical license in Indiana. But now Dr. Krist says the State Medical Board is trying to find ways to take that license away.

He later did a federal prison sentence for drug trafficking.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

it generally turns out that those end up being very serious reasons for delaying an application.

True story: Many years ago I ended up at some social event with a local "physician" who was complaining that the state medical board was investigating and had suspended his license for "no reason." At the end of the evening the truth came out: "no reason" was a life sentence for kidnapping.

Yeah, but I mean what’s THAT got to do with anything?!? Just a little kidnapping/torture/attempted murder. He’s over it now, dude, and you should be too. And now he’s clean. Totally clean. Except, you know, a little petty human trafficking, but if that’s a crime, fine! Take away my license...wait..oh...

I ask you now, is it the state medical boards JOB to root out criminal and deviant behavior in their physicians? IS IT?

I see...

How the hell does a guy like that get into med school?!

Going through the process right now and I can confirm, it is painful. They are just that slow. You have to send typed-out, signed and dated addendum letters to your application officer whenever they have a question. You cannot just reply via e-mail. This supposedly gets sent to the board for review. The questions can be very simplistic, to the point of questioning whether if the reviewer understands what higher education is. It's like the only qualifications was passing elementary school. It takes them weeks to months to respond. I can see why when people say it will take 3-9 months, they weren't kidding! People say the Texas license is worse, but after passing my jurisprudence exam, I got licensed in 3 months!

I would recommend having a contigency plan i.e., don't leave your current job until you've obtained your license and have your credentialing approved. Have enough emergency funds to last you for 3-6 months. Worst case scenario, if the board takes too long to process your application, you can ask your hospital adminstrator/future employer to write a letter to them, stating their delay in processing is a delay in patient care. I would have to look into the forms you sign with them, but you could probably sue them for lost income.

Can you please give me the contact email or phone # for the director you mentioned ?.

Right now Nevada is expecting a huge delay processing the medical license. :(

I am very frustrated..please let me know !

Thanks

Can you please give me the contact email or phone # for the director you mentioned ?.

Thanks

Thanks

That person did one post back in mid-2020 and hasn't seemed to have logged in since. Doubtful you'll hear back.