Neurology in Minnesota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A

ajl102

I'm a soon-to-be 3rd year student, starting to consider residencies.
One particular limitation - I need to be in or near the Twin Cities.

Approximately how difficult is it to get into the Mayo program? What does a solid application look like, in the opinion of those who've applied there.

Does anyone know anything about the program at the University of Minnesota?

Any comments would be helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

Mayo is an excellent program, its setup for curriculum is the best that i saw on the interview trail. they were commended by the RRC for having the best training program. but, you're living there, and it's the unique mayo system (it freaked me out)

it is top 20 as far as getting into (which isn't saying much as this is neurology). have good boards, research experience if possible, and have connections to the midwest.

i've heard U Minn. has a solid training program. i'd assume you could go there if you wanted to and showed interest.

Thanks a lot.

Any idea what kind of Step1 scores that'd be - very rough estimate - to be an acceptable app at Mayo?

Or where could I look to find this kind of info - ie, the way it was possible to look up average MCATs of accepted students at a given medschool.

I'd heard from one U of M faculty that the neuro program was hurting. He made it sound as though the department was just kind of atrophying. Not the best news I could've heard considering it's either the U of M or the Mayo as far as Minnesota neuro programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
re scores: i'm not exactly sure. it depends on where you're coming from to a certain extent, but i'd think that 1 SD abpve the mean is considered very good. i'd write to the PD (i forgot his name but he's a really nice guy) or Dr. Claudia Lucchinetti (she's the head of Recruitment, also very nice) to ask.

re U of M: i'm sorry to hear that. it's a bit hard to attract faculty and residents. hopefully they'll pull through.

good luck, and look into other programs in the midwest as well. i would rec at least considering/interviewing at Northwestern, U of C, Wash U, U W and MCoW