Neuro-Oph practicing as Board Eligible (Neurology) - desparate for guidance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throw_away_brain

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need some serious guidance here as a new neuro-oph.

I've just found out I failed neurology boards for a second time now and am at an impasse on what to do. despite great performance on qbanks, intense studying of highly regarded resources, test anxiety has always been a huge issue where my performance never reflects my preparation. (to help save face for myself, I love my subspecialty and consistently in clinical practice am receiving positive feedback from faculty, staff, and patient evaluations. this was similar in med school and residency. I truly believe my competency is there, just cannot seem to prove it on testing).

Here are some details of my situation:

Presently I'm early in attending hood. As a litmus test due to this, every neuro-op job posting I come across is seeking BE or BC; I have yet to come across any postings requiring board certification. And these postings are at major academic centers too. Unfortunately while private positions exist, they are not readily posted or advertised. But as you all know it is a highly sought after, scarce subspecialty

I completely understand the default ACGME/AUPO recommendation is to get certified. However I'm in the situation of 2 failures, immense toll on my mental and marital health (an ongoing process to which I am now seeking professional help) and a toll on my family where my spouse has sacrificed tons of time to single-parent these past two years to give me more study time. With a busy faculty work schedule and another child soon to join us, I just don't know if I put everyone through it again with even less time to study and the added pressure of two failures vs just remain board eligible.

Basically my main question is, does this situation sound like I am really shooting myself in the foot by deferring taking it again, or would it truly make no difference since no available positions require BC? (I'll clarify, I'm happy in my current position with no immediate plans to look for a new job, but it may be a consideration within the next few years, and I'm simply thinking long term).

Thanks so much, and even happy to talk privately with anyone who can help with any advice or insight. would love to hear from any neuro-ops who may be perusing, or other ophtho docs who work among them, or have assocation with recruiting/career advice. thank you.

Members don't see this ad.