Networking and Building Relationships During Pharmacy School / 2021 ONLINE SNPhA Joint Regional Meeting!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheOnlinePharmacist

P4
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN! I'm just checking in to see how many fellow pharmacy students and/or pharmacists are tuning in to the SNPhA Regional Meeting tomorrow. Will there be opportunities to network considering it's online? I have always wanted to go to a real-life conference throughout my pharmacy school years in order to meet new people, make connections, broaden my network, but for some reason I feel like that will be difficult to do in an online conference. For those of you who have attended online conferences, can you tell me more about how it's like?

Throughout pharmacy school all we hear is that networking is the key to success post-graduation, making meaningful connections and building mutually beneficial relationships is the way to go. As a current P3 I feel like I didn't do nearly enough networking and making connections. Other than my P1 & P2 Summer APPE preceptors and my Walgreens pharmacy manager/store manager I haven't done any networking at all. I had plans to go to conferences and regional meetings throughout my P2-P3 years in order to put my name out there, because you never know what doors open for you after graduation, but obviously with COVID and all, my P2/P3 years were pretty much completely online and I feel like I've done NOTHING to put my name out there.

For those of you who have been/are in the same shoes, am I being too hard on myself? Does most networking/putting your name out there happen during P4 year on rotations? What's the best way to go about doing that? How do I fill in the 2 year gap of being stuck schooling online before residency applications in December?

Members don't see this ad.

I would say networking worked about 5 years ago when there were still jobs available. Now, even if you have connections through networking, there aren't enough openings. I don't care how I know you, unless your mom or dad happens to own a PBM and can negotiate fair reimbursement rates, I ain't hiring a new grad in this market haha

I would say networking worked about 5 years ago when there were still jobs available. Now, even if you have connections through networking, there aren't enough openings. I don't care how I know you, unless your mom or dad happens to own a PBM and can negotiate fair reimbursement rates, I ain't hiring a new grad in this market haha
:oops::oops::oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
Can I ask a question? What the hell is the SNPhA?

Reactions: 1 users
Its one of those organizations in school. Relatively new I believe. You know, the one youd join just to put on your resume to show how active you were in school for residencies?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Student National Pharmacy Association. Focus is largely on serving underserved communities, areas with health disparities and equity in healthcare.

It's actually been around since 1972. I guess compared to some of the frats that's relatively young

Hey SDN! I'm just checking in to see how many fellow pharmacy students and/or pharmacists are tuning in to the SNPhA Regional Meeting tomorrow. Will there be opportunities to network considering it's online? I have always wanted to go to a real-life conference throughout my pharmacy school years in order to meet new people, make connections, broaden my network, but for some reason I feel like that will be difficult to do in an online conference. For those of you who have attended online conferences, can you tell me more about how it's like?

Throughout pharmacy school all we hear is that networking is the key to success post-graduation, making meaningful connections and building mutually beneficial relationships is the way to go. As a current P3 I feel like I didn't do nearly enough networking and making connections. Other than my P1 & P2 Summer APPE preceptors and my Walgreens pharmacy manager/store manager I haven't done any networking at all. I had plans to go to conferences and regional meetings throughout my P2-P3 years in order to put my name out there, because you never know what doors open for you after graduation, but obviously with COVID and all, my P2/P3 years were pretty much completely online and I feel like I've done NOTHING to put my name out there.

For those of you who have been/are in the same shoes, am I being too hard on myself? Does most networking/putting your name out there happen during P4 year on rotations? What's the best way to go about doing that? How do I fill in the 2 year gap of being stuck schooling online before residency applications in December?

So honestly networking with others is one of the keys to getting jobs, more than good grades, leadership etc. I networked my way into my residency which the name alone has opened so many doors job wise. One of my friends networked her way into a job she definitely wasn't as qualified for after meeting some at a Board of Pharmacy meeting and she's living her best life, no residency as an amb care clinic manager.

My suggestion would be your professors (really get to know them if you can), if you had any IPPE preceptors who you bonded with stay in touch, your preceptor for APPE coming up and yes if you want to your virtual members in this conference. I'm not going to lie I'm not the best networker but even I would feel like it's way more challenging over a virtual meeting. All you can do though is give it your best shot especially if the regional conference is free/you already paid for. You never know who is going to change your perspective, supply an opportunity etc. Even post residency I'm reminded constantly how small a world pharmacy is and how important connections are. So basically sure why not? Make it happen cause you never know how things will work out in the long run with who you meet.

Its one of those organizations in school. Relatively new I believe. You know, the one youd join just to put on your resume to show how active you were in school for residencies?
I never once participate or put any of that garbage in my resume. When I read that on a resume it starts to conjure an image in my mind of an early twenties guy standing there in a white coat with glasses and perfectly gelled hair with a vanco dosing calculator in hand looking for something to do. No thanks..

Show me a resume with some fast food management experience before your pharmacy experience and then I will be interested.

Not to make ad hominem attacks, but you should take some of the other posters with some idea of their other posts and job satisfaction.

Networking and keeping within a cohort (or crony) prevent some issues and mitigates others with getting and more importantly retaining a job. It helps to hire likeminded types and remodels the work environment to be comfortable to the networked (something that has definitely worked in my favor due to a particular Mafia in the business). It definitely helps when you want to gaslight someone to manage them out of a job (aka "constructive dismissal") where you can coordinate efforts with others as I have seen happen.

If you are going into retail and you are not in a paid internship, that's where to start networking, where can I find paid work? Since you already do, figure out what it is going to take in your local market from others. If you are staying in retail, that's one headache. If you are planning on institutional work, there are both residency and nonresidency methods in most states, but most jobs already have a candidate in mind, why not you?

2020 is a lost year for most of this. It's also going to be a much more brutal competitive market. What do you have to lose with a virtual conference? It's unlikely you're going to embarrass yourself, but you will see some names you may want to know for later.

Pharmacy organizations and networking part of the pharmacy school alternative reality.

Pharmacy organizations do nothing to help most pharmacists. The dues and registration fees are expensive and a pharmacy conference is the last thing I want to do on my limited pto. Usually I want to forget all about pharmacy.

Networking should happen naturally as professionals want to get together and talk about their craft. It shouldn't be so artificial as some new grad desperate for work kissing everyone's butt.

If pharmacy for most pharmacists was actually more than a job and a more of a profession where there expertise is valued, then these things would be valuable.

Get to know a few of your colleagues and better yet their bosses on a social level this works.

Reactions: 1 users
Pharmacy organizations and networking part of the pharmacy school alternative reality.

Pharmacy organizations do nothing to help most pharmacists. The dues and registration fees are expensive and a pharmacy conference is the last thing I want to do on my limited pto. Usually I want to forget all about pharmacy.

Networking should happen naturally as professionals want to get together and talk about their craft. It shouldn't be so artificial as some new grad desperate for work kissing everyone's butt.

If pharmacy for most pharmacists was actually more than a job and a more of a profession where there expertise is valued, then these things would be valuable.

Get to know a few of your colleagues and better yet their bosses on a social level this works.
I'm pretty active on TPA and local pharmacy organizations like DAPA. They actually help shape our profession. Especially TPA. They had a huge impact on passing the PBM legislation in Texas. I completely agree that school organizations are useless in real world.

Networking is a hit or miss. Most of your peers can at best introduce you to their hiring manager and have your resume given consideration. Getting picked for the interview and a job offer among all the other applicants is a matter of luck, timing and skill set matching the employer's needs.

If you do well during P4 rotations, internship work and socialize well with your supervisor/preceptor then they may be able to help out with employment; one of my classmates got a hospital staffing after school as an example and I saw how a particular preceptor really wanted a fellow intern to join his practice after graduation. If you got the socializing skills then make them work in your favor. My experience with frats and school organizations was a bust, but perhaps your school may be different.

You need something that sets you apart from the others. Looking at someone on a computer screen probably isn't going to get the job done. Maybe win hundreds of thousands of dollars counting cards in Vegas, get beat up by a pit boss and his goons, then lose the money... then get it back only to give it away again? That's my recommendation.