Coursework & Fieldwork Neonatal Therapy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureKidOT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a prospective occupational therapist, I am hoping to work in a NICU. Does anyone know any schools (besides WUSTL) or opportunities (research, fieldwork, fellowship, etc.) that would help me get my foot in the door? I would appreciate any information!

Members don't see this ad.

After talking to multiple professors, they explained how it is very hard to have fieldwork in a NICU because of how sensitive the babies are and because of hospital restrictions. In addition, I was told it is very difficult to begin your career working in the NICU because of the experience necessary and because of the delicacy of the babies. Just as it is difficult starting out in EI because it is good to have experience before going into an in-home environment.

I am also interested in the NICU, but from what I have gathered from talking to schools, the NICU is not a place to start out in as an OT.

I am rooting around reddit and here trying to find NICU OT's to inquire whether an experience like the one offered at WUSTL will be an advantage post-school and in that initial job search. I know that just getting into a pediatric setting is the best way towards a career in the NICU. So, if anyone who's a NICU OT reads this-- would a research lab in a NICU experience give me a leg up on other applicants for those more generalized pediatrics jobs (like at a children's hospital)?

Myself and another student in my class just completed L2FW in NICU settings. We both interviewed for positions in acute pediatric placements and both ended up with mostly NICU caseload. And it was great!

I agree that it is difficult to do as entry-level and EI would be a great route to go. I actually applied to a NICU job and interviewed last week (PM me for details) Almost all of the babies discharged from the NICU start home heath or EI so I feel that would be very relevant experience. Another placement in acute or inpatient with fragile/lots of lines and leads would be helpful too.

If you are truly interested in NICU keep in mind you will most likely need to move when graduating to find a job this specific!

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.