Need to find an MD/MBA in Austin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shredder

User
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Undergrad seeking a mentor for wisdom and advice, maybe shadowing--suggestions? I haven't been able to locate any on my own so far.

Members don't see this ad.

I obtained an MBA at the University of Texas at Austin. The classes were all but devoid of any significant learning and the degree proved to be worthless. In particular, the accounting classes failed to provide instruction in accounting, the marketing class was taught in a manner more suited to entertainment rather than scholarship and the operations class was worthless. The MBA degree is mostly hype and nonsense dressed up as scholarship so it can be sold at a high price. Over 700 colleges in the United States grant the MBA. It is the single most common degree obtained in the nation and it fails to serve as a significant credential assisting those earning it to obtain superior employment opportunities. It is, however, a wonderful money maker for the schools that offer it. Please save your money and time.

If you would like to obtain all of the benefits of the degree without investing most of the time and expense, go take a one year intro course in finance. An understanding of money and how it functions will be a genuine asset to you. It will show you how much of what you as a consumer and as a potential physician/investor should ignore. In addition, a one semester class in macroeconomics will give you insight into how capital markets as well as many other sectors of the economy that scientist/physicians are not exposed to function. Just reading a good macroeconomics text would be enough. No need to take an actual class.

Please save your time and energy for learning medicine. The MBA is a waste.

Learfan said:
I obtained an MBA at the University of Texas at Austin. The classes were all but devoid of any significant learning and the degree proved to be worthless. In particular, the accounting classes failed to provide instruction in accounting, the marketing class was taught in a manner more suited to entertainment rather than scholarship and the operations class was worthless. The MBA degree is mostly hype and nonsense dressed up as scholarship so it can be sold at a high price. Over 700 colleges in the United States grant the MBA. It is the single most common degree obtained in the nation and it fails to serve as a significant credential assisting those earning it to obtain superior employment opportunities. It is, however, a wonderful money maker for the schools that offer it. Please save your money and time.

If you would like to obtain all of the benefits of the degree without investing most of the time and expense, go take a one year intro course in finance. An understanding of money and how it functions will be a genuine asset to you. It will show you how much of what you as a consumer and as a potential physician/investor should ignore. In addition, a one semester class in macroeconomics will give you insight into how capital markets as well as many other sectors of the economy that scientist/physicians are not exposed to function. Just reading a good macroeconomics text would be enough. No need to take an actual class.

you should change your name to MBAfan instead! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Learfan said:

This needs to be the standard response to alot of the posts in this board.

heeter said:
This needs to be the standard response to alot of the posts in this board.

It's too bad that some people feel this way. Maybe they've been in a terrible program. I have not regretted my MBA at all. And I completely disagree that a one year course in finance and a course in macro is all you need. It would be like saying all you need is a course in anatomy and you'll be a doctor. Does everyone need an MBA, not at all. But chances are, most medical students or physicians do not have the time nor desire to take a single business course. One top of that, taking a course or two is not enough to change the science mentality that most of us have.