Need suggestions to improve

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jahnavi bhatt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have completed with INBDE exam

TOEFL 104

GPA 3.7

1yr work experience in home country

220hrs of dental shadowing

1 journal publication

Attended fews volunteer camps in home country and awarded with a certificate

Few CDE online courses done

1 Lor from American dentist and 2 from my home country

Can anyone tell me is this sufficient or if not what can i do to improve my chances of getting into a dental school?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Here’s the thing with these applications
Those stats can work just fine for some people and they will get accepted but may not work for others. End of day it’s both luck and connections.
You have good qualifications but so does everyone else who is applying.
I recommend you choosing the program you want to get into and start making connections there. Start with an email and possibly ask for a shadowing opportunity for at least a few weeks in that program. That way they’ll know you and your application will stand out.
Another way is try to find a friend you know and worked with in that institution to recommend your name to the program director.
If you can’t do that, remember you still can get in. You never know until you apply!

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with prospects. I am on my 5th cycle now applying.

TOEFL 110; GPA 3.8; 3.5 years in home; US Job Shadowing;Dental Assisting; Dental Hygiene; Volunteer (over 500 hours); no research/publications (cause I honestly hate research); Have mulitple LORs from US dentist and dean at home.
I had multiple attempts on NBDE which is why I know I am not even getting an interview which is sad that one test has so much power.

Again it's all about luck/connections to the university and how well the faculty wants to see you as a candidate. They get over 3K applications (it's a money game) and select a very few. I have even questioned some people that got in as their stats were horrible and as a person they were not a well rounder or nice person.

It's true luck to get into these.

Last edited: