Need of advice about applying this cycle, thank you!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jjv123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am totally at lost at what to do and I am in need of some guidance!

Background about myself:

I graduated from university four years ago with a BS in Biology. I graduated with a cGPA of 3.16 and a science gpa of 2.79. I completed my core pre-med classes during this time with a mostly B- average and D+ in Orgo 1, which I retook and passed. My poor undergraduate gpa was associated with health issues, which I have now addressed.

After I graduating, I worked as an ER scribe and then became chief scribe. I was chief scribe for two and half years. I have also been volunteering as well.

During this past 2019 to 2020 academic year, I completed a DIY post bacc. I completed 31 credits of upper level science courses with a 4.0 gpa.

I am lost at what to do next? I believe with my post bacc, my cGPA will be around a 3.3X and my sgpa will be about a 3.1X.

I am planning to apply to only DO schools as I feel this is within my reach given my stats. I need advice on the following.

• When Should I take MCAT? I have not taken the MCAT, when is it too late for me to take it this summer? I was thinking of August 14 with a score back date of September 7.
  • When Should I apply? Should I submit my primaries without my MCAT? Due to my low stats I feel this may not work well in my favor. (I was hoping that a high MCAT score would help to offset my previous stats).
  • Do I need a non-STEM LOR? I do have multiple LOR from DO’s (thanks to my scribe job), and I also could get two LOR from STEM teachers, however it has been 4 years since my last non-science class. Do I need a non-STEM LOR? I also do not think I would get a committee letter from previous school.
  • What are my next steps, so that I am ready to apply for this cycle?
I am so sorry that this post is long. I am just super anxious and I am completely loss. It’s been a challenging four years since graduating, but I finally feel that things are looking up. I appreciate any advice and thank you in advance for your time and help! It means the world to me to have a community like this!

Forever grateful,

Jjv123

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Where is your state of residence ? For DO schools you can apply as late as October or November. You need a MCAT of at least 500 for DO schools so do not take the MCAT until your practice scores are consistently over 500. Post your score here in the future.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you Faha, I greatly appreciate your advice and time! My state or residency is Connecticut! I am also an ORM.