Need helping choosing pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurepharmacist99

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am currently an undergrad and I have no idea where to go for pharmacy school (in California). I have a few questions for those who are already in pharmacy school:

1. Do we need to take the PCAT? I'm looking at the requirements on a lot of pharmacy school websites in California and they say that they don't require it. Did most of you guys take it or not?

2. Do you recommend the 3 year or 4 year program?

3. Which schools have just pass/no pass as the grading system, I'm trying to look through the websites of these pharmacy schools and none of them talk about it.

4. What pharmacy school do u recommend in ur opinion?

Thank you guys! :) I appreciate it

Members don't see this ad.

So I can't speak on specifically California schools, but I would highly recommend a 4 year over a 3 year program. For one thing, tuition is usually higher per year at a 3 year program, which makes it roughly the same as (if not more than) a 4 year program. Additionally, you go year round at a 3 year program. You are going to get much fewer intern hours that way, since most students only work 10-15 hours maximum during school weeks. Whereas many traditional students will be picking up more hours in the summer, or maybe even getting experience in uncommon pharmacy areas, you will be in a classroom. And we haven't even talked about burnout yet. Don't piss away your summer breaks while you still have them.

Reactions: 1 user
The real answer is to seriously reconsider your decision to go to pharmacy school. We're expecting negative job growth in the next 10 years. California was one of the most saturated states BEFORE all the new schools graduated their first classes.

I would seriously consider a different profession. Computer programming, finance, accounting, engineering, the trades, etc. pay as well as pharmacy if not better, offer far better job prospects and work conditions, and do not require you to take out $200k+ in loans and spend an additional 4 years of your life in school. These professions are actually hurting for workers right now, whereas as a pharmacist you will most definitely have to move out of California indefinitely, likely to the middle of nowhere if you want to have a job when you graduate.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Do we need to take the PCAT? I'm looking at the requirements on a lot of pharmacy school websites in California and they say that they don't require it. Did most of you guys take it or not?

California does not require the PCAT. That said, you'd be wise to take it in order to broaden your terrain for interviews with criteria being met.

2. Do you recommend the 3 year or 4 year program?

I currently go to an accelerated 3 year program. Albeit Gi Bill related entitlements are paying for my housing and education, I do not suggest others to attend an accelerated program. My course is an exam every two weeks every month out of the year plus IPPEs and last year dedicated to APPEs. We must score a 90% on all our exams or be forced to leave the program. Typically 3 year programs do not allow you the opportunity to work as an Intern you otherwise could at a 4 year public program. I think its an important opportunity to save your tuition cost and get proper exposure as an intern at a public instate tuition rated (regionally accredited program) institute vs. a fast pace / stressful / no chance for an intern job / 3 year program.

3. Which schools have just pass/no pass as the grading system, I'm trying to look through the websites of these pharmacy schools and none of them talk about it.

Typically most of your 3 year accelerated programs are based on a block scheduled pass/fail curriculum. Your secondary choice is to look on pharmacy locator (Google) and click on the state of your choice. It will then direct you to pick a program of your choice and how their curriculum is based.

4. What pharmacy school do u recommend in ur opinion?

Unless your education and housing is 100% covered and your willing to work part time hours at lower than average rates, I cannot recommend pharmacy to anyone. That said, if you must choose a pharmacy program this is the criteria you are strongly encouraged to meet:

1) Only apply to a regionally accredited program. None of this "pending" or national accreditation. Plenty of programs are established with this minimum requirement. Don't chase after anything less of this criteria.

2) Go to the cheapest instate-tuition rated program. What do you call a person that graduated top of his/her class at the top ranked pharmacy program vs someone who graduated bottom of their class at the lowest ranked program? "A pharmacist." Niche jobs are getting tighter and retail is the majority go to career choice. Good luck.

1. Why does it have to be in California? Pharmacy is extremely saturated right now. By the time you graduate, you're going to have to be willing to relocate anyways - most likely to small town rural areas if you're lucky to find any job at all.
  2. Do you want to do retail or residency after graduating? For residency, probably 4 years would be better so you have better time to prepare yourself with clinical knowledge and invest into research/extracurriculars.
  3. IDK
  4. For California, stick to public schools which are UCSF and UCSD because they'll be the cheapest and most reputable. If not, just go to a cheap school at another states

Questions for you:
  1. Why do you want to be a pharmacist despite projected job growth to be 0% and meanwhile pharmacy schools continue to graduate pharmacists in record numbers? (Check BLS and AACP data)
  2. Do you want to become a retail pharmacist despite the fact that in the past year Rite Aid closed 600 pharmacies, Shopko went bankrupt, Walmart laid off 40% of pharmacy employees, Fred's closing 129 stores, and Walgreens planning to close another 200 stores?
  3. Or do you want to do residency which another 2 years of training after pharmacy school and you'll still end up making less money than a dentist or optometrist?

1. Why does it have to be in California? Pharmacy is extremely saturated right now. By the time you graduate, you're going to have to be willing to relocate anyways - most likely to small town rural areas if you're lucky to find any job at all.
  2. Do you want to do retail or residency after graduating? For residency, probably 4 years would be better so you have better time to prepare yourself with clinical knowledge and invest into research/extracurriculars.
  3. IDK
  4. For California, stick to public schools which are UCSF and UCSD because they'll be the cheapest and most reputable. If not, just go to a cheap school at another states

Questions for you:
  1. Why do you want to be a pharmacist despite projected job growth to be 0% and meanwhile pharmacy schools continue to graduate pharmacists in record numbers? (Check BLS and AACP data)
  2. Do you want to become a retail pharmacist despite the fact that in the past year Rite Aid closed 600 pharmacies, Shopko went bankrupt, Walmart laid off 40% of pharmacy employees, Fred's closing 129 stores, and Walgreens planning to close another 200 stores?
  3. Or do you want to do residency which another 2 years of training after pharmacy school and you'll still end up making less money than a dentist or optometrist?

When is walgreens planning on closing 200 stores? I heard cuts were coming.... but do you know anything concrete?