Need Help Developing School List 516 MCAT, 3.7 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ajrbrts2

Reaction score
Trying to create a list of schools to apply to.

Academics:
BS Healthcare Administration: cGPA 3.7, sGPA 3.3
MPH: 3.92 GPA

Strong upward trend in undergraduate studies

MCAT:
1st attempt- July 2017: 498 (123, 126, 124, 125)
2nd attempt- June 2019: 516 (128, 128, 128, 132)

Extracurriculars:
5 years of Division 1 football (2 year starter, team captain)
1,000 hours non-clinical volunteering
10 hours shadowing MD
Worked in orthopedic clinic, completed capstone projects for MPH

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Need more shadowing (~50 hrs total). Are you URM or from disadnvantaged background, and is any portion of your non clinical volunteering with underserved/disadvantaged groups? Have you submitted your primary for verification yet?

Where is your state of residence ? When are you planning to apply ? Did you have any patient contact in the orthopedic clinic and if so how many hours ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Where is your state of residence ? When are you planning to apply ? Did you have any patient contact in the orthopedic clinic and if so how many hours ?

Wisconsin resident, applying now to start in 2020. Very little patient contact (10 hours) orthopedic clinic. I worked on improving the joint seminar that patients took before undergoing TJA. I was mainly working on the administrative side to improve surgical outcomes in order to gain accreditation from DNV/Blue Cross Blue Shield. Created an educational piece for PCP's on requirements for referral to orthopedics and how to optimize patients prior to TJA (HbA1c levels, BMI, smoking cessation, etc.)

Forgot to mention that while I was in undergrad I did an internship in the athletic training room. 300 patient contact hours with student athletes from every sport.

EDIT:
The majority of my non-clinical volunteering was at elementary schools in underserved areas of the communities surrounding my university

Last edited:
The work with athletes in an athletic training room is not considered patient contact. Your 10 hours of physician shadowing and 10 hours in the orthopedic clinic is very low for clinical activity and will limit your chances for interviews. In the coming year accumulate another 40 hours of physician shadowing (including primary care) and 200+ hours of clinical volunteering (working in a hospital, clinic or physician's office would be ideal). You need these hours in case you have to reapply next year. I suggest these schools with your current stats and activities:
U Wisconsin
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Seton Hall