Need help deciding between TX medical schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

which school?

• UTHSCSA

Votes: 13 59.1%
  • A&M

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • TTHSC

Votes: 4 18.2%

• Total voters

jchan10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all,

So I got accepted to UTHSCSA, A&M, and TTHSC. I would love to hear from med students what they considered when choosing a medical school and what advice they would give to themselves if they had to do it over again.

Members don't see this ad.

Priority one: cost. Priority two: location. Priority three: all of the other irrelevant bullsh*t people on SDN obsess over

Reactions: 1 user
Well they all cost about the same and have the same reputation. I would think mainly about location. I hate how Lubbock had you have to move third year, so they would be last on my list. I always thought San Antonio sucked hard, so personally I would choose anm

Members don't see this ad :)
Well they all cost about the same and have the same reputation. I would think mainly about location. I hate how Lubbock had you have to move third year, so they would be last on my list. I always thought San Antonio sucked hard, so personally I would choose anm
About 60% of the Tech class stays in Lubbock, but it's pretty luck-of-the-draw if you're one of those.

I'm more of a houston guy so still hoping for a UT Houston interview, but right now they all have something that I like individually about the school.
UTHSCSA: great class, San antonio is a cool city, you stay in one place all 4 years, lots of friends there
A&M: houston track which has 1.5 yr in college station and 2.5 year in houston
TTHSC: no traffic, lubbock is also a chill city, and waiting for their response on the 4 year MD/MBA program

any other factors you used when deciding?

I'm more of a houston guy so still hoping for a UT Houston interview, but right now they all have something that I like individually about the school.
UTHSCSA: great class, San antonio is a cool city, you stay in one place all 4 years, lots of friends there
A&M: houston track which has 1.5 yr in college station and 2.5 year in houston
TTHSC: no traffic, lubbock is also a chill city, and waiting for their response on the 4 year MD/MBA program

any other factors you used when deciding?
Honestly, a good chunk in determining rank order was gut feeling. Go for the place where you think you fit best and will do your best work.

Reactions: 1 users
In typical sdn fashion, UTH > UTSA > A&M > Tech

In typical sdn fashion, UTH > UTSA > A&M > Tech

Is this based on prestige? I think you'd get maybe an itsy bitsy teeny tiny boost from UTH over the other 3, but other than that I think they are almost completely the same

what do the clinical years look like?

Is this based on prestige? I think you'd get maybe an itsy bitsy teeny tiny boost from UTH over the other 3, but other than that I think they are almost completely the same

Yes. Ultimately, I agree the difference is very little and med school will be what OP makes of it. But the uncertainty of clinical campus assignments and moving with the latter 2 schools would irk me as an applicant.

Yes. Ultimately, I agree the difference is very little and med school will be what OP makes of it. But the uncertainty of clinical campus assignments and moving with the latter 2 schools would irk me as an applicant.

Agreed!