Need help and advice failed USMLE 2 cs and ck

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mew786

Reaction score
Hey,

STEP 1 score: 233
STEP 2 Score: fail - need to re apply for permit
STEP 2 cs score: fail - taking in October

I have just found out that I did not pass the CK exam. I am from a Carribbean medical school but US citizen. On my previous NBME i scored a 228. But the night before the exam I did not sleep. So i was planning on applying this year for residency, I have a 3.53 gpa 3.79 clinical. I have good LORs, and some decent experience urgent care, shadowing, volunteer. I will be doing an MBA this year as well. What are my chances if any, and Do is SOAP a possibility if I have passing scores by then?

Members don't see this ad.

Unlikely to match, unfortunately.

Two board failures will be hard to look past

Reactions: 1 users
How does one pass Step 1 with a very solid score and then fail Step 2?

I agree with Ciestar, 2 board failures + being a carrib grad - time for a career change.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I disagree with the above comments, I've met a few people who've failed at least both step exams and still matched (US and FMGs). It's all about persevering through this and showing that you were able to learn from your mistakes. Also network!

I mean at this point you might as well try.
Apply family and every program you can, don’t be picky.
Good luck.

I disagree with the above comments, I've met a few people who've failed at least both step exams and still matched (US and FMGs). It's all about persevering through this and showing that you were able to learn from your mistakes. Also network!
I also know of people who won the lottery. Doesnt mean I reccomend that people should buy lottery tickets as a way to save up for retirement.

That being said, OP should atleast try to match.

I would say don't give up trying, but don't be devastated if you don't match. This year it'll be really quite difficult to match, so if funds are an issue at all, just delay applying until next year. Make sure to do as well as you possibly can on Step 2CK/CS the next time and consider taking Step 3 as well before applying next year (if you don't match this year). Stay involved clinically on as consistent a basis as possible-shadow or work part time as a scribe

Hey,

STEP 1 score: 233
STEP 2 Score: fail - need to re apply for permit
STEP 2 cs score: fail - taking in October

I have just found out that I did not pass the CK exam. I am from a Carribbean medical school but US citizen. On my previous NBME i scored a 228. But the night before the exam I did not sleep. So i was planning on applying this year for residency, I have a 3.53 gpa 3.79 clinical. I have good LORs, and some decent experience urgent care, shadowing, volunteer. I will be doing an MBA this year as well. What are my chances if any, and Do is SOAP a possibility if I have passing scores by then?
Hey, I am in your shoes as well. I have step 1 231 (second attempt), step 2CK 241(1st attempt), but early this week, I got my CS report. I failed the ICE portion. I am an IMG and this is the worst news I have got since I started preparing for the USMLE. I am just sad now.

I also know of people who won the lottery. Doesnt mean I reccomend that people should buy lottery tickets as a way to save up for retirement.

That's you. As I said-I know many medical students who've failed the USMLES and matched successfully. I would advise the poster to actually seek advice from medical mentors, not pessimists on this site.

That's you. As I said-I know many medical students who've failed the USMLES and matched successfully. I would advise the poster to actually seek advice from medical mentors, not pessimists on this site.
Perhaps you should read what I said.
I will bold it some more since you completely missed the point.

I understood your statement and was reiterating mine. Learn to read to COMPREHEND not solely to respond!
You are the one responding to a 9 month old thread while completely ignoring the point of the post.
So please ,Learn to read and comprehend!

Well I passed CK with a 226, and passed cs and step 3. I applied this year I am waiting on interviews

Reactions: 3 users