Need Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sgopi

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was feeling totally lost with respect to the dental schoool system in US, until I discovered this forum. Can somebody please tell me how easy/difficult it is to get into a Postgraduate Program in US?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi

If you are interested in postgraduate education in the US, you should consider the following:

First, "What course do I want to study?"
- There are many postgraduate options in dentistry. Would you prefer clinical or research? With or without master's degree option?

Second, "How much money am I willing to spend?"
- It is rare to find a program that would pay you a high stipend as a foreign graduate on a student visa. They would ask you to provide means of financial support even before you are issued a visa.

Third, "Where do I want to go?"
- There are over 50 states in the US. Where would you like to go??

Fourth, "Why do you want to come to the US?"
- Why? Why not? Family? A sense of adventure? Travel? Plan to return home afterwards?

Once you have answered those questions to satisfy your own inquisitive mind, then I guess the next step is to consider what the Program Directors in each specialty would look for in a candidate. For example (not in any order whatsoever) :

1. Your undergraduate GPA
2. Letters of recommendation from you dental faculty at home country (at least 3)
3. Previous clinical/dental experience in your home country.
4. TOEFL score (if you are not a native English speaker)
5. Interview result (if you were called upon for one)
6. Evidence of any further postgrad education or coninuing education either here in the US or back in your home country
7. Letter of Good Standing with your home Dental Council (rarely asked)
8. Curriculum vitae (list of your academic achievements and work experiences)

I guess you could add a few more to the list...

Hope this helps you. I know I had to go through them when I was at crossroads of embarking on a postgrad (and be a poor student once again) or be a smashing private dentist driving a real cool car with a fab yacht back at home!!!!

Good luck.

Cheerio

Mightymolar

Thanks a lot for the info. Mightymolar, You really did enlighten me.

I have heard that, when they consider a candidate for admission to a post graduate course, they'll give a lot of weightage for research undertaken while in dental school. Is there any way we can get into some research activity at some university in the US? From what I've read, they accept only students from dental schools in US, to participate in research. Does anybody have info on this?