Need advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

savytricks

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody. I am new to SDN and looking to get some advice on whether or not I should apply this year or delay to next years cycle.

I just graduated this past may. Here are my stats:
Major: Biochemistry w/ honors concentration
Minor: Mathematics
Overall GPA: 3.44
Scien. GPA: (same as overall)

Gen. chem : A, B
Orgo 1,2: B, B
Analytical chem: B+
Gen Bio: A-, C
Genetic.:A
Physics: B,B+
Molecular Bio: C+
Calc.1, Cacl.2, Calc.3: A,A,A
Biomed stats, Discrete: A,B+
Mostly A/B+'s in humanities

Extra Curr.'s :
Student Government (12-15 hrs week) Class e board and Executive council, Research with Biochemistry professor at school (3 semesters) also presented at regional drosophilia conference with this research past April, 50+ hrs community service, Resident Assistant (RA) for 1 year, TA for Gen chem for 1 semester due to class conflict couldn't continue. 50+ hrs of shadowing, 100+ volunteering at hospital through Mentoring in Medicine.

I am registered to take the MCAT August 10 and will get my scores back around Sept.11 I believe. I just started studying to take it giving myself about 2 months to prepare.

I want to know: 1)What do my chances look like at getting into either MD or DO schools?
2) Would it be a smart move applying now or waiting until the next cycle when I can apply as quickly as possible?

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

You will need more time on the MCAT. Give yourself more than 3 months. Preferably 6. MCAT will determine, MD, DO and possible scholarship. Ive seen many minorities get their medical school dreams pushed back by the MCAT. Like I said study for about 3 months at least.

Hey everybody. I am new to SDN and looking to get some advice on whether or not I should apply this year or delay to next years cycle.

I just graduated this past may. Here are my stats:
Major: Biochemistry w/ honors concentration
Minor: Mathematics
Overall GPA: 3.44
Scien. GPA: (same as overall)

Gen. chem : A, B
Orgo 1,2: B, B
Analytical chem: B+
Gen Bio: A-, C
Genetic.:A
Physics: B,B+
Molecular Bio: C+
Calc.1, Cacl.2, Calc.3: A,A,A
Biomed stats, Discrete: A,B+
Mostly A/B+'s in humanities

Extra Curr.'s :
Student Government (12-15 hrs week) Class e board and Executive council, Research with Biochemistry professor at school (3 semesters) also presented at regional drosophilia conference with this research past April, 50+ hrs community service, Resident Assistant (RA) for 1 year, TA for Gen chem for 1 semester due to class conflict couldn't continue. 50+ hrs of shadowing, 100+ volunteering at hospital through Mentoring in Medicine.

I am registered to take the MCAT August 10 and will get my scores back around Sept.11 I believe. I just started studying to take it giving myself about 2 months to prepare.

I want to know: 1)What do my chances look like at getting into either MD or DO schools?
2) Would it be a smart move applying now or waiting until the next cycle when I can apply as quickly as possible?

Thanks so much!
1. If you score at least 502, you have a chance at the HBCUs and some low-tier schools.
2. If you feel like you can score that on August/September when you get your scores apply broadly(20+ schools) by late August, and you should get interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
Please make your first MCAT the best you can; take lots of practice tests and if your not scoring where you need to, then reassess. I would agree with @carterjt47 about 502+, but with your stats please aim for 505-510 to give yourself the best odds; that seems to be the magical area. You can get in with lower scores but it's harder so try your very best the first time. Being a re-applicant or taking multiple MCATs isn't the worst thing in the world (as I am proof of), but it is a factor at most schools in some way so set yourself up well before you apply. Also, keep gaining more hours as that does help with your app too.

Overall, even with a later app submission you have a good shot at HBCUs and lower-tier schools if you can get that 502+ and especially if you can express your commitment to medicine through other activities. I'd also apply DO too. It just depends on your goals; if you just want to start then build your app now (both MD & DO), get your MCAT, and apply smartly and broadly.

Also, I feel the need to say that even if you don't rock the MCAT you can still be a doctor. I see a lot of URMs get discouraged over that test and stuff their medicine dreams down. Encourage yourself even if it doesn't go well and be willing to try different study methods/apply to more schools/get more hours. It may be harder, but it's not impossible.