Need advice/chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noelletnw

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I hope that this question is considered okay to post, and I apologize in advance for the length!

I've been going back and forth between going to med school and grad school for a really long time (4+ years). There are aspects that I really like and enjoy for both, and things I'm not a fan of for both as well. Because of this, I think that getting my MD/PhD would be the best of both for me. However, I think that getting into a program would be a huge reach for me. Here are my stats:

White female, residency in CA

MCAT: 28. 10V/10BS/8PS. I took it twice and got the exact same score in every category both times. I scored between 31-33 on all of my practice tests, so I was pretty disappointed. I know that I can do better, but I've heard it's really not good to take the test 3 times....

GPA: 3.73 overall/ 3.64 major

Research experience: 1 summer as stem cell technician (letter unlikely), 3 years as a research technician during school (author on paper, really good letter expected), research technician post-grad at highly respected institution/lab (Oct 2015-present, really good letter expected)

Clinical: shadowed 2 doctors 25 hours each. volunteered with organization to provide medical care to homeless population, but provided outreach only.

So I guess what I'm asking is the following:

1. Should I retake the MCAT for the 3rd time? I haven't taken a practice one with the new exam.
2. Do I have a shot at MD/PhD?
3. Do I have a chance at MD alone?

THANK YOU SO MUCH! Sorry this was long, just wanted to give the whole picture!

Members don't see this ad.

The MCAT score is really going to hurt you. If, and this is a big if, you take it again you will have to score significantly better (e.g. >513). I'm not sure what the view will be with you scoring the exact same in every category twice (except maybe not being adequately prepared). Your GPA (what is your sGPA?) is good and research seems solid.

I'm not an adcom so take my words with a grain of salt, but you will have a hard time getting into an MSTP program but probably not a MD/PhD (though that will still be a tough sell). That being said you do have a chance at MD-only as well provided you apply broadly.

You will need some clinical volunteering, a bit more shadowing, continue with your other activities.

Reactions: 1 user
The MCAT score is really going to hurt you. If, and this is a big if, you take it again you will have to score significantly better (e.g. >513). I'm not sure what the view will be with you scoring the exact same in every category twice (except maybe not being adequately prepared). Your GPA (what is your sGPA?) is good and research seems solid.

I'm not an adcom so take my words with a grain of salt, but you will have a hard time getting into an MSTP program but probably not a MD/PhD (though that will still be a tough sell). That being said you do have a chance at MD-only as well provided you apply broadly.

You will need some clinical volunteering, a bit more shadowing, continue with your other activities.

Thanks so much for the advice! My science GPA is 3.64--sorry I should have been more clear when I said major GPA.
As far as the MCAT goes, I think the problem was I rushed to take it again before they changed to the new one, so I had to fly to another state and take it right before finals. I know that was stupid, but so it goes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for the advice! My science GPA is 3.64--sorry I should have been more clear when I said major GPA.
As far as the MCAT goes, I think the problem was I rushed to take it again before they changed to the new one, so I had to fly to another state and take it right before finals. I know that was stupid, but so it goes.

Then you'll have to really crush the MCAT if you plan on taking it a third time and apply to the following types of programs: MD, DO, MD/PhD (you can try non-MSTP and MSTP but don't hold your breath for the latter). I would also ask what is your motivation for wanting the MD/PhD? I ask since MD students can get involved in research at many programs.

Then you'll have to really crush the MCAT if you plan on taking it a third time and apply to the following types of programs: MD, DO, MD/PhD (you can try non-MSTP and MSTP but don't hold your breath for the latter). I would also ask what is your motivation for wanting the MD/PhD? I ask since MD students can get involved in research at many programs.

I've worked in a lab for many years and I like it a lot. I'm not completely sold on MD/PhD--still have some thinking to do. I just can't imagine my life without the one or the other, and I want to be able to have the option to pursue either career path fully if I choose to.

Do you think it's worth the risk taking it a 3rd time? Every time I decide one way or the other I second guess my decision. I know I can do better, but it's obviously a matter of whether or not I WILL do better when test day actually comes.

I've worked in a lab for many years and I like it a lot. I'm not completely sold on MD/PhD--still have some thinking to do. I just can't imagine my life without the one or the other, and I want to be able to have the option to pursue either career path fully if I choose to.

Do you think it's worth the risk taking it a 3rd time? Every time I decide one way or the other I second guess my decision. I know I can do better, but it's obviously a matter of whether or not I WILL do better when test day actually comes.

You'll definitely need to weigh the pros and cons of the dual pathway on your own and I'll also add - think of a couple of career lines that interest you and see what advantages the degree combo gives.

Worth is always subjective. IMO, it's not worth it to take it a 3rd time unless you are confident you will crush it (not just do better). This would encompass a lot studying and scoring in the 36+ range consistently (since many times your real score tends to drop). If not then I would suggest you purchase an MSAR and see what your chances are at various programs with your stats and apply to a mix of MD, DO, and some MD/PhD (especially your state's programs).

As everyone already mentioned, you will be facing an uphill battle to get into a MD program (leave alone a MD/PhD program) given your mcat score. I can tell you that as someone who also applied with a low mcat score. Not saying it's impossible (I eventually got a few acceptances), but you will definitely have to convince the adcoms that your mcat doesn't tell the whole story. Feel free to PM me if you want any advice on what I did.