Need a pick me up; did not match into fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lilyhopeless

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I did not match into Hem-Onc this week and I am really sad. Like the name said, I have been very sad for a couple days now and was hoping for a pick me up. I know it is shameless and in the grand scheme of things, it is not the residency Match. But this has been what I worked so hard for the past 2 years or so and it is very heart breaking.

Can someone share with me their perspectives and advices?

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Hi,

I did not match into Hem-Onc this week and I am really sad. Like the name said, I have been very sad for a couple days now and was hoping for a pick me up. I know it is shameless and in the grand scheme of things, it is not the residency Match. But this has been what I worked so hard for the past 2 years or so and it is very heart breaking.

Get a job, make some money, have some fun, and try again. You're not 'hopeless'. Trust me, you're way more accomplished than 99% of Americans. We (physicians) get so wrapped up in our neurosis.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
This is a blip in the grand scheme of things and is not a measure of you as a physician. Don't fall into the high-achiever trap of measuring your self-worth by these accomplishments, you've already accomplished an incredible amount to get where you are. Plenty of people reapply and match to fellowship if they can make connections and improve their apps a bit. If Heme/Onc is really what you want, plan to reapply (after a well earned break).

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
People are literally being shot and raped, homeless, no food, no shelter..you have a job making 300k that is helpful to society, improve your perspective and you’ll be fine

• Love
  • Okay...
Get a job, make some money, have some fun, and try again. You're not 'hopeless'. Trust me, you're way more accomplished than 99% of Americans. We (physicians) get so wrapped up in our neurosis.
This.

Look at it this way: now you get to go out in the real world, make money, live your life, and start enjoying yourself instead of heading back for more training. GME training, in a word, sucks. Once you’re out you may find that you never want to go back.

Also, let me share this story…I originally wanted heme/onc. My residency research project got f’d up and basically never got beyond the IRB stage. I made a last minute switch to rheumatology, matched an excellent program, and found out that rheum was actually where I belonged anyway. Bailing out of heme/onc felt like a loss at the time, but in retrospect was probably the best thing that ever happened to me as a physician. I’m very happy in rheumatology now.

• Love
Get a therapist

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
Hi,

What if you had matched into it and werent as happy as you thought youd be?

Reactions: 2 users