Need a bit of help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MynesForeva

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm a student that isn't yet finished with high school but is interested in psychology/psychiatry career paths. My concern is the dress code really, to my knowledge psychiatrists aren't required to wear scrubs right? I wear a niqab so I'm worried about the dress code not being niqab/hijab friendly. Your response would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all, I'm a student that isn't yet finished with high school but is interested in psychology/psychiatry career paths. My concern is the dress code really, to my knowledge psychiatrists aren't required to wear scrubs right? I wear a niqab so I'm worried about the dress code not being niqab/hijab friendly. Your response would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
You will not need to worry. Most institutions will make exceptions for religious obligations & customs. In the U.S., most major institutions (especially in large cities) are very niqab/hijab friendly. (I live in NYC, and often see many professionals in the Academic Medical / Professional Psychology doctoral programs wearing theirs, also.)

Best wishes with your continued studies. 🙏❤️

Reactions: 5 users
In hospital settings like inpatient medical units, some psychiatrists (and fewer psychologists & social workers) will choose to wear scrubs but that's almost certainly a personal preference (e.g., comfort, sanitation) versus a requirement.

In situations where a patient may be under precautions (e.g., contact precautions due to flu, immunocompromised, etc), the hospital will provide appropriate PPE which can be worn over scrubs or non-scrubs and then discarded to more safely interact with the patient.

Good luck in the future!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You will not need to worry. Most institutions will make exceptions for religious obligations & customs. In the U.S., most major institutions (especially in large cities) are very niqab/hijab friendly. (I live in NYC, and often see many professionals in the Academic Medical / Professional Psychology doctoral programs wearing theirs, also.)

Best wishes with your continued studies. 🙏❤️
That's great to hear, Thank you very much. hopefully, Canada is the same.

In hospital settings like inpatient medical units, some psychiatrists (and fewer psychologists & social workers) will choose to wear scrubs but that's almost certainly a personal preference (e.g., comfort, sanitation) versus a requirement.

In situations where a patient may be under precautions (e.g., contact precautions due to flu, immunocompromised, etc), the hospital will provide appropriate PPE which can be worn over scrubs or non-scrubs and then discarded to more safely interact with the patient.

Good luck in the future!
That's certainly comforting, Thank you!

I don't think I've ever seen a psychiatrist in scrubs other than when working inpatient at hospital (inpatient for physical reasons, not behavioral / psych inpatient). I have seen psychologists don a white coat over their regular clothes in the hospital when going to large meetings with a bunch of docs (chiming in on psychosocial aspects of patients under consideration for receiving organ transplant)-- and that was only because they (sadly but unsurprisingly) felt her contributions to the discussion were taken more seriously as a non-MD woman of color in a room full of of MDs. I don't think you'll have anything at all to worry about from standpoint of the job. However it is important to bear in mind that being a psychiatrist (in the US, and I assume in Canada) means going through medical school first and all that entails so it might be worth inquiring more broadly about what options would be available as you would very likely be doing other doctor-things that generally do include wearing scrubs on that path. There are a few other SDN threads where you might be able to get some insight into navigating that possible path

Hi there. While I cannot imagine any institution in which you choose to study or work prohibiting you from wearing your niqab, hijab, or any form of religious dress, I would be remiss to not mention the standard fare of ignorance, prejudice, and discrimination you will likely face.

You likely know this, but neither academia nor healthcare institutions or the people who comprise each are immune to reiterating injustice present in larger society. Though I am sure you can and will find communities and settings that are more inclusive, equitable, and just than less, you should remain mindful that even and perhaps especially in your professional role, colleagues, supervisors, and patients may make and act on assumptions about you based on how you look. Of course this happens to everyone, but when it happens in a negative direction and due to some form of xenophobia it adds an additional challenge to navigate. I don’t say any of this to sway you away from pursuing your goals; your interest and thoughtfulness is clear and will serve you well in whatever you choose to do. Rather, I just wanted to acknowledge the realities of the field for those of us who are easily read as a member of a non-dominant community.

Thank you for taking your time out to write this. It probably won’t be anything I haven’t already faced since birth so I can assure you lol, I can deal with it.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't think I've ever seen a psychiatrist in scrubs other than when working inpatient at hospital (inpatient for physical reasons, not behavioral / psych inpatient). I have seen psychologists don a white coat over their regular clothes in the hospital when going to large meetings with a bunch of docs (chiming in on psychosocial aspects of patients under consideration for receiving organ transplant)-- and that was only because they (sadly but unsurprisingly) felt her contributions to the discussion were taken more seriously as a non-MD woman of color in a room full of of MDs. I don't think you'll have anything at all to worry about from standpoint of the job. However it is important to bear in mind that being a psychiatrist (in the US, and I assume in Canada) means going through medical school first and all that entails so it might be worth inquiring more broadly about what options would be available as you would very likely be doing other doctor-things that generally do include wearing scrubs on that path. There are a few other SDN threads where you might be able to get some insight into navigating that possible path
Thank you for your reply. I’m aware of what being a psychiatrist entails. I know if I do choose to take that career path I’ll be able to handle it. Thanks again.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for taking your time out to write this. It probably won’t be anything I haven’t already faced since birth so I can assure you lol, I can deal with it.
lol I know it’s a no-brainer and of course you can deal with it. If we changed our goals based on other people’s ideas of us we would live extremely limited lives.

I think I just had a bit of hopeful naïveté when I entered this field as a student and professional. I had the thought that perhaps things would be a bit better here than society at large. I wasn’t surprised when I learned it wasn’t but I was disappointed and annoyed that no one who knew better had mentioned the state of things up to that point. And so here we are.

Good luck w everything. You’re going to be an amazing asset to whichever field you choose to pursue. :)

Reactions: 1 users
I hope you do choose to take one of these paths, or some other helping profession. The need for more diversity in this field to more accurately represent the general population cannot be overstated in my opinion. Best of luck!

Reactions: 2 users
lol I know it’s a no-brainer and of course you can deal with it. If we changed our goals based on other people’s ideas of us we would live extremely limited lives.

I think I just had a bit of hopeful naïveté when I entered this field as a student and professional. I had the thought that perhaps things would be a bit better here than society at large. I wasn’t surprised when I learned it wasn’t but I was disappointed and annoyed that no one who knew better had mentioned the state of things up to that point. And so here we are.

Good luck w everything. You’re going to be an amazing asset to whichever field you choose to pursue. :)
Thank you v much. The heads up was also appreciated :)

i wear them in the outpatient setting but im in a large community health setting. A lot of my patients are psychotic and/or intoxicated and they dont seem to mind too much, lol. A lot of others are just grateful to have help.

Generally I dont wear scrubs outside that setting though