NCSU vs UPenn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eqk9

Reaction score
Hello! I was very fortunate to be accepted to 9 schools this year, but I have managed to narrow it down to NCSU and UPenn. I’m primarily interested in equine medicine and am planning on pursuing an equine surgery internship/residency after vet school (though I’m also considering internal med and therio). I was wondering if anyone had any insight into these programs? Thank you so much in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I was very fortunate to be accepted to 9 schools this year, but I have managed to narrow it down to NCSU and UPenn. I’m primarily interested in equine medicine and am planning on pursuing an equine surgery internship/residency after vet school (though I’m also considering internal med and therio). I was wondering if anyone had any insight into these programs? Thank you so much in advance!
Wow 9 schools! That’s a lot! Did you decline your seats at the other 7 schools? I don’t know much about either as I’m currently deciding, but congrats!

Congrats on all your acceptances. NCSU is one of the cheapest veterinary schools because you can get in-state tuition after the first year and UPenn is one of the most expensive. Your education will cost almost LITERALLY TWICE as much at Penn than at NCSU. (Presuming you’re OOS at both) We’re talking like 212k at NCSU vs 392k at UPenn. That’s 180,000 difference. I am always going to advocate for people to go to the cheapest school they can, but this is especially important when you’re considering equine, which is historically the absolutely worst paying field of vet med. It’ll be way easier to pay off or save for forgiveness on 212k of loans vs almost 400k. Talk to a few recently graduated equine vets (since 2010ish or newer) and see if they think Penn is worth nearly two hundred thousand dollars more (bc interest). I assure you they will say it is not. I know vets who would do almost anything to reduce their loan balance by 180k, and you can easily do that and set yourself up for long term success.

Go to NCSU. It’s a great school. It’s even better bc it’s a more affordable option.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users