Other OT-Related Information NBCOT Study early hand?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kongoppa

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got my bachelors and head to OT school this May and was wondering(not having the background knowledge) is it worth it buying exam prep book and try to study for it??

Members don't see this ad.

i've been advised not to study for the NBCOT until after fieldwork even, so probably not worth it.

No - wait until Level II fieldwork to get the review books; things change and books can be updated in the time you're in school. You will also accomplish nothing by studying until you've completed your coursework; the content won't mean anything. The test isn't so unbelievably difficult that you can't wait until the end of your program. Plus, most people take about 6-8 weeks right after they graduate to study, and make it a (mostly) full time job, then take the test. I started studying in between my two Level II placements because my second one was at a school district, so I had some time. Then I studied a little bit during my second placement and then took 6 weeks right after graduation to do what I just described. I passed the first time.

Members don't see this ad :)
No - wait until Level II fieldwork to get the review books; things change and books can be updated in the time you're in school. You will also accomplish nothing by studying until you've completed your coursework; the content won't mean anything. The test isn't so unbelievably difficult that you can't wait until the end of your program. Plus, most people take about 6-8 weeks right after they graduate to study, and make it a (mostly) full time job, then take the test. I started studying in between my two Level II placements because my second one was at a school district, so I had some time. Then I studied a little bit during my second placement and then took 6 weeks right after graduation to do what I just described. I passed the first time.

How difficult would you say the exam was on a scale from 1-10? 10 being the most difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

How difficult would you say the exam was on a scale from 1-10? 10 being the most difficult.

I really can't quantify it, and frankly, I won't at this point, for people who haven't even entered OT school. It's a high-stakes test and it's timed, so for some people, those are challenging by their very nature, but unlike most high-stakes tests, it actually tests knowledge of content, though it does have the element of learning to pass the test itself. However, the way the test works is that there are several versions circulating at any one time, so your questions might be different than someone else's. There is also no way that you will know all of the answers to all of the questions, or even know much about the topic of the questions (I had a series of 3 related questions about a topic we never discussed in school and I only read about in passing), but the point is to use your clinical reason (which you will learn to do in school) to find the correct answer. You also only need to obtain a certain score to pass - and NO ONE, I repeat, NO ONE cares about your score as long as it's a passing one. Not your potential employers, and not the state medical board who will issue your license. This is not the GRE or the SAT.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks, guys!! for the advice. Also if I were to pass the exam, and want to move to different to practice, do I have to take NBCOT again??

Thanks, guys!! for the advice. Also if I were to pass the exam, and want to move to different to practice, do I have to take NBCOT again??

NBCOT stands for National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy, so as long as you intend to practice in the US, you will not need to take the exam again, even if you move between states. However, for each state that you practice in, you must apply for a license.

I really can't quantify it, and frankly, I won't at this point, for people who haven't even entered OT school. It's a high-stakes test and it's timed, so for some people, those are challenging by their very nature, but unlike most high-stakes tests, it actually tests knowledge of content, though it does have the element of learning to pass the test itself. However, the way the test works is that there are several versions circulating at any one time, so your questions might be different than someone else's. There is also no way that you will know all of the answers to all of the questions, or even know much about the topic of the questions (I had a series of 3 related questions about a topic we never discussed in school and I only read about in passing), but the point is to use your clinical reason (which you will learn to do in school) to find the correct answer. You also only need to obtain a certain score to pass - and NO ONE, I repeat, NO ONE cares about your score as long as it's a passing one. Not your potential employers, and not the state medical board who will issue your license. This is not the GRE or the SAT.

Appreciate the thorough answer!