Navy Navy Reserve in MD school (Not HPSP, etc.)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lambchopnavy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in serving in the Navy Reserves during all 4 years of medical school.

I am already accepted into medical school, ready to start in August. Likely career will be physical medicine and rehabilitation.

I have no prior military experience.

I am NOT applying for HPSP because I do NOT want to go on a GMO tour before residency, I do NOT want the Navy to control my residency location. I want to work as a civilian physician full-time and serve the Navy part-time.

My goal is to serve Reserve through medical school and residency, drilling 40+ days in the summer, maybe satisfying monthly drilling requirements by working at a base nearby, etc. After residency and fellowship I can serve part time as a doctor in the reserves.

My key questions are:

1) If I join, how likely would I be pulled from classes?
2) If I join, what would the compensation be?
3) If I join, what would my rank be?

Members don't see this ad.

They can and will deploy you in the reserves. The medical scholarships are the only thing that protect you from deployment because the Navy sees your medical education as their own investment. Don't be stupid. You could always do a year of residency and join the reserves as a licensed physician, and that is much more likely to not end up poorly for you (though it remains a risk).

If you want to be a full time civilian doc and be in the reserves...that is fine, but I'd recommend getting through all of your training first.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
If you aren't on the hook as a med student officer, you can be deployed