Navy Navy Keeping Me After EAOS/MSR-I

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ar9mp

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wrapping up 4 years' GMO time for HPSP payback, matched in civilian residency last week. I confirmed with my detailer prior to starting the match process that my EAOS/MSR-I would be July 2017, and she requested the same when submitting my commission resignation request.

I got my separation orders last week, and they are to detach in August 2017. My detailer doesn't know why this happened, and PERS-834 (separations) doesn't have an answer either. I'm assuming it was to align with my PRD, which is August 2017, despite me making no such request and having done dozens of separation physicals for sailors separating prior to a PRD. My chain of command is very supportive of me going on to civilian life, my relief has been identified, and there will be zero operational impact to the fleet if I separate in July vice August.

I've written a memo explaining why I need to separate in July and am routing it up to my command for endorsement prior to submitting it as a request for an orders modification. I may have just baaaaarely enough leave to start residency on time (July 1st), but I would likely miss orientation if my orders stay as they are. I had planned to use that leave to house hunt, move, etc. as the military doesn't give you any of those permissive times off when you resign your commission.

Has anyone heard of this happening before? Does anyone have any other suggestions of things to do or people to talk to about getting my separations orders modified? I haven't told my residency program about this yet, but I likely will this week to let them know what I'm doing to fix it and so that they can start me off on an easy rotation in July in the worst case scenario that I show up late.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give, and I apologize for the length of my post. I've lurked on this board for years, and the advice I've gotten here has been priceless as I've navigated my way through GMO land and successfully almost returned to civilian GME, this last hurdle notwithstanding.

Members don't see this ad.

Standard bonus month. Navy's been doing this for years. If you started 1July or later, you separate in Aug. Your separation date comes from the detailer shop. They have the magic spreadsheet with the separation month. PERS-834 just does what they are told.

This has happened to lots of people (including me). Trying to fight it could delay separation approval so everyone just gives up. To be clear, this is the separation month. You and your command together choose the day. So if they let you leave 1AUG with 30 days of terminal, you'll almost make it. I needed a Director level signature to slide the 1AUG by so I waited until I was acting Director and signed my own.

I knew what this was going to be from the title. It comes up here every couple years.

Standard bonus month. Navy's been doing this for years. If you started 1July or later, you separate in Aug. Your separation date comes from the detailer shop. They have the magic spreadsheet with the separation month. PERS-834 just does what they are told.

This has happened to lots of people (including me). Trying to fight it could delay separation approval so everyone just gives up. To be clear, this is the separation month. You and your command together choose the day. So if they let you leave 1AUG with 30 days of terminal, you'll almost make it. I needed a Director level signature to slide the 1AUG by so I waited until I was acting Director and signed my own.

I knew what this was going to be from the title. It comes up here every couple years.

I'll add this to the list of things I'll never understand about Navy manning practices. At the very least it would save taxpayers >$8k to let me out on time.

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate the insight from the other side. Have you ever heard of anyone getting a separation orders mod? The detailer seemed legitimately surprised that my orders were a month extra, but this is also her first year in the gig. I would rather think that she's just naive/ignorant and not straight up lying to avoid telling me what she did. Either way, she didn't seem to think that requesting a modification would affect much since my orders are already funded and that I should use them to plan the move, etc. I won't get my hopes up though.

I'll start thinking about creative ways to use the leave I have to attend what I absolutely can't miss while waiting for PERS to say no.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've told this story before. I know someone who tried to fight this and failed. He started an anesthesia fellowship late. @pgg probably know him. The place that took him was ultimately accepting but he thought he was going to lose the fellowship.

I also was held a month later than was fair. The consequence was that I made sure I used every last day of leave. The moment I realized this was when I became a short timer. I did an honest days work but quit every collateral and stopped going to meetings. I probably would have sold back leave since I had ~90 days to use if not for the bonus month. It really only added 1 day over what my command could have kept me because I got out on the first of the month.

Reactions: 1 users
it's like the big green weenie in the army. do you guys call it the big blue weenie?

we have to give a minimum 6 month REFRAD (release from active duty) notice, which for the most part the date requested typically sticks. you can hang around a few extra months if you like, or start terminal leave in may and leave june 30. I know because my wife recently submitted hers. the back end bonus month the navy gets out of you guys is nauseating.

--your friendly neighborhood our extraction has begun caveman

it's like the big green weenie in the army. do you guys call it the big blue weenie?

we have to give a minimum 6 month REFRAD (release from active duty) notice, which for the most part the date requested typically sticks. you can hang around a few extra months if you like, or start terminal leave in may and leave june 30. I know because my wife recently submitted hers. the back end bonus month the navy gets out of you guys is nauseating.

--your friendly neighborhood our extraction has begun caveman

I call it the big blue something, for sure. I started the process back in July, never thought it would be an issue to get out when I'm eligible to. I'm glad the Army is being on the up & up with your wife, which is the professional way to treat people. Congratulations on your pending deliverance.

I don't know why, but my command is actually optimistic that my request to modify my orders will be approved. I'm not holding my breath, but it's better than nothing. The admin-o was impressed by the detail in the reasons I gave for an ordmod and the specific POCs at PERS that I name-dropped. So I've got that going for me, in case this whole medicine thing doesn't work out.

For any Navy folks curious about the specifics of this, the instruction is MILPERSMAN 1920-200, and the relevant paragraphs are 11 & 15. "Any requests for detachment earlier than originally requested in the resignation letter or earlier than approved in the NAVPERSCOM (PERS-834F) notification letter will not normally be approved." It won't be the end of the world, but it's certainly leaving me with a sour taste on my way out of the door.

I didn't separate until August but started residency orientation in late June. Answer: terminal leave.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I didn't separate until August but started residency orientation in late June. Answer: terminal leave.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

My command allowed 14 days of terminal leave for separations until the year prior to my separation. It's a local policy.

They still got you for the bonus month.