Navy Detailer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaxAnn

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
At what point during the HPSP/HSCP process do you "pick" your top three spots. I understand this is tentative and won't mean much up against the Navy's need, but what do they give you a list or something? I'm not quite sure what is the point if your three picks are highly likely to be disregarded altogether when the time comes.

Members don't see this ad.

At what point during the HPSP/HSCP process do you "pick" your top three spots. I understand this is tentative and won't mean much up against the Navy's need, but what do they give you a list or something? I'm not quite sure what is the point if your three picks are highly likely to be disregarded altogether when the time comes.

Well, I've been in the Navy as a dentist for about 3 years now...when I was negotiating my first destination after doing my GPR at a Naval Hospital, I was told to pick a geographical region instead of specific locations. I told the detailer, west coast and I ended up in Japan due to the "needs" of the Navy. My buddy listed Camp Pendleton and got Camp Pendleton, but spent the past 6 months in Iraq for picking that billet. Unless you're on a ship, you'll likely get deployed these days. We had dental officers deploy to the gulf from Japan...the most deployable folks are...junior LTs.

Anyway, you need to play your cards right. I was told to not even mention/list any location you would not even consider even if the detailer asks to list it as the last choice. Good luck. Navy dental is hurting for bodies right now with guys leaving for private practice left and right...promotion rate is a joke, too for O-5 and up.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, just a few years ago, the junior detailer (general dentists and junior grade officers deal with him) actually tried very hard to get one of those top spots or a location that's pretty close. Also, if you don't request a residency (remember, GPR and AEGDs are also residencies), you are likely sent to one of the major shore commands like San Diego or Norfolk. From what I hear, that's still somewhat true, but with the general dentist shortage, that "need" part has a lot more weight these days. I'll give you some real examples:

A buddy of mine's mind was set on getting stationed near LA, and wanted to do his AEGD at camp pendleton. Well, luck wasn't on his side and the Navy decided that year to shut that program down. Then, he was told the only other available AEGD was in Camp Lejeune since that command was seriously hurting for bodies.

Another friend I know wanted desperately get stationed in Japan...and guess what, he got it because it's actually a place most don't request.

The whole detailing process is so hard to predict though as the available billets vary from year to year. Just get your fingers crossed and get ready to pack and go anywhere. That's my advice.;)

Actually, just a few years ago, the junior detailer (general dentists and junior grade officers deal with him) actually tried very hard to get one of those top spots or a location that's pretty close. Also, if you don't request a residency (remember, GPR and AEGDs are also residencies), you are likely sent to one of the major shore commands like San Diego or Norfolk. From what I hear, that's still somewhat true, but with the general dentist shortage, that "need" part has a lot more weight these days. I'll give you some real examples:

A buddy of mine's mind was set on getting stationed near LA, and wanted to do his AEGD at camp pendleton. Well, luck wasn't on his side and the Navy decided that year to shut that program down. Then, he was told the only other available AEGD was in Camp Lejeune since that command was seriously hurting for bodies.

Another friend I know wanted desperately get stationed in Japan...and guess what, he got it because it's actually a place most don't request.

The whole detailing process is so hard to predict though as the available billets vary from year to year. Just get your fingers crossed and get ready to pack and go anywhere. That's my advice.;)

How hard is it to get assigned to a shipboard billet? Thanks.