NAVLE Prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

galixia17

purdue c/o 2019
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone use VetPrep for the NAVLE (and passed)?

Is the premium version worth the extra cost?

Members don't see this ad.

VetPrepper here. I completed the Zuku and VetPrep 'questions of the day 'religiously for the first three years of vet school. When it came time to choose my prep software at the end of third year, I chose VetPrep. I preferred VetPrep's interface to Zuku's, and was wow'ed by the program's statistical breakdown of performance (by species and discipline- i.e. Equine Cardiology, Porcine Infectious Disease, etc.). Both VetPrep and Zuku corporate reps gave presentations to my class late into our third year. Although our class established a bulk discount with Zuku, myself and a few others went rogue wit VetPrep. I was very pleased with VetPrep, and felt that the content was directly on target with what the NAVLE asked. The question format of the NAVLE is a bit different than VetPrep, but the content is all there (which is really what you need). I started early, and completed 100% of the program. As for the advanced content, yes, I bought and used it. I used VetPrep's Power Pages/Lectures strategically to fill in gaps where I knew I was weak (i.e. neurolocalization of lesions). For subjects where I felt comfortable, I skipped them. I completed all of the practice questions first before moving on to timed exams, and then used the timed exams toward the end of my prep to gear up for the length of the NAVLE. I passed by a wide margin.

My goal here isn't to disparage Zuku. The great majority of my class purchased Zuku, and passed as well. It comes down to which program you prefer (layout, structure, and stats were what won me over). Both will get you to the final destination.

I highly recommend purchasing one (or several, as I did) practice problem sets from ICVA, the organization that administers and develops the NAVLE. These are actual past NAVLE questions that you can purchase ($50 = 200 questions). These problem sets are identical to the FORMAT of questions you'll see on the NAVLE. ICVA problem sets (for format) coupled with your prep software of choice = winning combination.

Good luck! NAVLE will be here before you know it. I don't recommend procrastinating- it will make life in fourth year harder than it needs to be.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes and maybe. I had premium and liked the lectures for my weak areas. If you're not a web lecture person though then probably not worth it. I think you get the powerpages regardless? If not, those would be worth the extra money.

I only completed 60% so I never used the pile of done.

ETA: My goal originally was to complete 80% to get the guarantee of receiving vetprep for free the next time if I didn't pass. But if I hadn't passed, I don't think I would have used it again anyway tbh....

Also, the timed exams had a lot of repeat questions from the question bank so it became problematic for me given that I recognized the question and was not answering based on knowledge but on remembering the correct choice. So that's when I stopped using vetprep and just reviewed notes and did a couple of the ICVA practice exams. Just my $0.02.

Last edited:
I used Vetprep (regular version) and Zuku question of the day. Premium wasn't worth it to me because I preferred reviewing my lecture notes (which I had gone through before and therefore were familiar territory to me) rather than their powerpoints. 80% of my classmates used Vetprep, the rest used Zuku. I went with Vetprep honestly because that's what the majority of people went with. I feel like both are pretty similar in the end.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did VetPrep, don't recall how much I completed, I thought it was good. As good as a board revising tool can be.

I passed NAVLE just fine. I had classmates who got Zuku, I looked at it but didn't like it near as much.

I also used VetPrep (regular version) and did just fine. I don't think premium adds that much (at least not for the extra money it requires to get it), so I didn't get it. I got VetPrep during the May special, and I'm glad I didn't get it before then as I would not have touched it.

Personally, I would use that money you would have used on the premium/buying it super early and instead buy practice Self-Assessments from the ICVA. 1000000% worth it, as they are old tests and I had a few that were very very veryyy similar questions, and they even predict your score for the actual NAVLE. Definitely worth the money to do one or two of them.

Reactions: 1 user
2 Qs:

How does the cost compare in Jan/Feb vs Apr/May?

Has anyone compared the videos for both companies?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

2 Qs:

Thanks!

I saved like a hundred dollars buying the regular VetPrep in May vs. Jan I believe.

Reactions: 1 user
2 Qs:

Thanks!

There's always a Vetprep promo in May, which I think was like $200 off or something.