My practice is looking at a new EMR, deciding between Nextech and Modmed- anyone have thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slugnut

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The MD's and scribes in the practice liked Nextech better from the demonstrations we were shown, but our practice manager liked Modmed. I'm hoping to get some input on either one of these. It seems like a high number of the practices in our area (Pacific NW) use Nextech.

Members don't see this ad.

Not an ophtho, never worked in an actual practice, but from my clients, I hear the most positive things about Nextech. It seems to be the most popular choice if a practice has updated its EMR in the last few years. I don't encounter Modmed as much but have heard good things about it.

My .02c worth about .02c

Members don't see this ad :)
I would highly recommend Nextech! We have been using it for the past 2.5 years and have been very happy with it.

It's about 50/50. Docs like nextech more. Managers like modmed more. Are you a doc or a manager?
Doc. I think I could get used to just about anything, so probably either will by fine. Nextech seems to have a much larger ophtho market share, but the PM side is what's less clear to me.

I would highly recommend Nextech! We have been using it for the past 2.5 years and have been very happy with it.
So it appears there are different versions- the server-based version and the cloud based, which is newer. Do you know which one you're on?

Not an ophtho, never worked in an actual practice, but from my clients, I hear the most positive things about Nextech. It seems to be the most popular choice if a practice has updated its EMR in the last few years. I don't encounter Modmed as much but have heard good things about it.

My .02c worth about .02c
Thank you for the .02!

My husband's an ophthalmologist and uses NextGen
It's an older system but it is still supported. He had to do a lot of customization work to get it to show the details he wanted on each patient visit.
It will store retinal and camera photos and other tests.
The key point is that it integrates with billing, saving a lot of steps and manpower to connect billing to clinic records.
Ask if any of the systems you are considering will do that

Last edited:
We use nextech and have been very happy with the EMR and support. We just rolled out their PM piece this week and it’s been a little hit or miss. Growing pains from changing systems I’m sure. Affiliated practice has been using it for a while and loves the PM aspect, seems to work well. I’ll keep you posted on updates.

Stay far far far away from Practice plus if you go Nextech. Never get the bundled package. You're better off getting AdvancedMD and bridging the two. Also Nextech support is the biggest pile of garbage I have ever experienced for any of their products.

Also you know the DICOM imaging support for ModMed that they show you? Usually they scroll an OCT image to try to impress you. It doesn't actually work with any machine (including all Zeiss products) - that's just a demo gimmick. Maybe it works with one model of Heidelberg OCT? They usually "forget" to leave that part out.

Good luck!

Stay far far far away from Practice plus if you go Nextech. Never get the bundled package. You're better off getting AdvancedMD and bridging the two. Also Nextech support is the biggest pile of garbage I have ever experienced for any of their products.

Also you know the DICOM imaging support for ModMed that they show you? Usually they scroll an OCT image to try to impress you. It doesn't actually work with any machine (including all Zeiss products) - that's just a demo gimmick. Maybe it works with one model of Heidelberg OCT? They usually "forget" to leave that part out.

Good luck!
Thanks! I'll have to double check the imaging part of modmed.

Good luck!
Our DICOM work swell with our Topcon OCT and Alcon Argos.

don’t go NextGen.

I’ve heard nextech is hard to make changes on the fly. I was told you have to contact the company to implement changes such as smart phrases.

Modmed is also very popular but no experience