My future looks dark and need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chopin'sPrelude

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I just created this account, but I have been following this forum for a long time. First I want to tell you that I find this forum so helpful and feel like this is one big family, and I am glad to be a member of it, thank you all!

Let me tell my situation. I am an IMG graduated two years ago. I have passed Step1, CK and CS with good scores and have been preparing them for four years. Last year I came to the US and worked as a volunteer researcher under the supervision of a very reputable psychiatrist. Then I had to return to my home country to change my visa status to continue to work in the research study. Now the sad and dark part begins.

At the time I return to my country to change my visa status, visa restrictions took place, although my country was not in the list, all visas severely affected. Moreover, my home country is dealing with serious political conflicts, which only aggravated the problem. I applied several times for visa and was unsuccessful.

I applied for the psychiatry residency, as becoming a psychiatrist is my childhood dream and very passionate about it. I am granted with three interviews from solid programs. But I cannot return due to visa problems and seems to be like that until my country's political conflicts resolve and US's non-immigrant policies change which could take years. I want to return to the US to seek academic position sooner or later.

Getting into psych residency or any residency in my home country which became impossible due to political conflicts which don't let me do that. Therefore, I am unemployed now.

I don't know what to do with my future... Since I can't get into residency in the US or my home country, and I don't want to stay home doing anything and depressed, I am looking for an alternative thing to do which will help for my future career. I aim to work in an academic field, and I am hoping to return to the US when things get better, even if it takes several years. I will not quit my dreams. What can I do until these situations resolve? I only can speak English other than my native language. Is there any alternative, other countries someone can advise? I am pretty much open to anything in any country; PhDs, research, residency... Anything which would help my future psych career. You can write here or PM me. Any advice, guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,
I just created this account, but I have been following this forum for a long time. First I want to tell you that I find this forum so helpful and feel like this is one big family, and I am glad to be a member of it, thank you all!

Let me tell my situation. I am an IMG graduated two years ago. I have passed Step1, CK and CS with good scores and have been preparing them for four years. Last year I came to the US and worked as a volunteer researcher under the supervision of a very reputable psychiatrist. Then I had to return to my home country to change my visa status to continue to work in the research study. Now the sad and dark part begins.

At the time I return to my country to change my visa status, visa restrictions took place, although my country was not in the list, all visas severely affected. Moreover, my home country is dealing with serious political conflicts, which only aggravated the problem. I applied several times for visa and was unsuccessful.

I applied for the psychiatry residency, as becoming a psychiatrist is my childhood dream and very passionate about it. I am granted with three interviews from solid programs. But I cannot return due to visa problems and seems to be like that until my country's political conflicts resolve and US's non-immigrant policies change which could take years. I want to return to the US to seek academic position sooner or later.

Getting into psych residency or any residency in my home country which became impossible due to political conflicts which don't let me do that. Therefore, I am unemployed now.

I don't know what to do with my future... You can write here or PM me. Any advice, guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
I'm terribly sorry to hear of your troubles. I don't know how you could be helped, as visas require the sort of strings that take a lot of power to pull. I pray your situation improves, and I'm terribly sorry things have gone this way for you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry to hear about your visa problems. It sounds like a really unfair situation. I hope you are able to find someone who can help.
Thank you so much for your good wishes, it really means a lot! I am hoping to get some good advice since we have many wise mentors in this forum.

I'm terribly sorry to hear of your troubles. I don't know how you could be helped, as visas require the sort of strings that take a lot of power to pull. I pray your situation improves, and I'm terribly sorry things have gone this way for you.
It's really great to have your support guys! Hearing such kind words from you makes me feel better! Thanks:)

I am sorry this is happening to you. There is nothing right or fair about it.

What kind of research did you do? I mean, this is a pretty big world and just because you can't enter the US right now doesn't mean you can't have a career in psychiatry anymore. I guess the easiest thing to do would probably be to find a postdoc position, maybe in Canada or a European country. Even in European countries where English isn't the main language, you're often good to go as a postdoc as long as you know English. If your former PI is well-known, he may also have some good connections that could help you find a position like that. A lot of the European countries also do have paths to residency training for foreign trained doctors, though this varies from country to country.

What kind of research did you do? I mean, this is a pretty big world and just because you can't enter the US right now doesn't mean you can't have a career in psychiatry anymore. I guess the easiest thing to do would probably be to find a postdoc position, maybe in Canada or a European country. Even in European countries where English isn't the main language, you're often good to go as a postdoc as long as you know English. If your former PI is well-known, he may also have some good connections that could help you find a position like that. A lot of the European countries also do have paths to residency training for foreign trained doctors, though this varies from country to country.

I attended clinical research, but I could only work for four months, then I had to return to my country to change my visa. I was supposed to work an additional year there. I am not well-qualified regarding research since I don't have much experience to be able to find a paid research position. I already applied hundreds of research jobs in the US, many European countries, Canada, New Zealand...I need to find a paid position to cover my basic living expenses, as I stated it is tough to find a job with only four months of experience.

You are right, every country has its own rules but many of the English speaking countries needs USMLE like exams, I don't have the energy to start all over again.

The other challenge I face is that due to severe human right violations in my home country, many European countries are also seriously restricting visas. It is like I can't get out from here and can't get a job either. Like living in prison.

Last edited:
I attended clinical research, but I could only work for four months, then I had to return to my country to change my visa. I was supposed to work an additional year there. I am not well-qualified regarding research since I don't have much experience to be able to find a paid research position. I already applied hundreds of research jobs in the US, many European countries, Canada, New Zealand...I need to find a paid position to cover my basic living expenses, as I stated it is tough to find a job with only four months of experience.

You are right, every country has its own rules but many of the English speaking countries needs USMLE like exams, I don't have the energy to start all over again.

The other challenge I face is that due to severe human right violations in my home country, many European countries are also seriously restricting visas. It is like I can't get out from here and can't get a job either. Like living in prison.

Oh, I see. Have you looked into PhD programs? A lot of the biomedical programs are pretty well funded within the EU/EEA and cover your living expenses. The UK, Germany, France, Switzerland, Sweden. Not sure what your visa restrictions are though...

Oh, I see. Have you looked into PhD programs? A lot of the biomedical programs are pretty well funded within the EU/EEA and cover your living expenses. The UK, Germany, France, Switzerland, Sweden. Not sure what your visa restrictions are though...

There are pretty solid Ph.D. programs in Germany, and I am planning to apply there. Some European countries give a scholarship to only EU countries which really restricts my options. I checked the UK, one of the PI replied I should cover my expenses and pay tuition fees which approximately 100.000 pounds total. There is no apparent visa restrictions or bans from Europe but it is no secret that de facto there is... It is hard to predict but it is a high chance that they would reject the visa application. Sorry to draw such a dark picture, but it what happens to me now:(

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but like others have said, the world is a big place.

I would certainly look into the UK. British Psychiatry is on par with American psychiatry, if not better. Perhaps look into a research/Ph.D program at a place like Imperial College or King's College (Maudsley, #1 in the world arguably for psych research). You can even look into doing your clinical training in the UK, although I've heard its much tougher if you are a Non-EU graduate. But look into it. And unlike in the U.S where psychiatry is getting to be moderately competitive to match into, its still pretty easy in the UK! Just last week on twitter it was trending in the UK, #choosepsychiatry . I read somewhere that funding is going to be increased to medical schools that produce more psychiatrists, providing an incentive.

Speak directly to people involved in "Foundation Training Programs". That is equivalent to "intern years/preliminary years" in the U.S. You do 2 years of foundation training, and then 6 years of core psychiatry training (so a 2nd round of application). Total of 8 years before you are attending ("consultant").

But also, what about Australia? I've heard they are short on docs in the smaller cities, and I think relatively easier to get into a training program compared to European countries I think. You could also look into applying for training there? And if you want research I'm sure you can find something in a big centre like Sydney, Melbourne. And I know Univ. of Queensland (Brisbane) take a lot of international students. And New Zealand is even easier, so look into that as well.

Good luck with your endeavors. Whatever you do, don't give up. The more you put yourself out there, the greater the chance your luck will turn around :).

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but like others have said, the world is a big place.

I would certainly look into the UK. British Psychiatry is on par with American psychiatry, if not better. Perhaps look into a research/Ph.D program at a place like Imperial College or King's College (Maudsley, #1 in the world arguably for psych research). You can even look into doing your clinical training in the UK, although I've heard its much tougher if you are a Non-EU graduate. But look into it. And unlike in the U.S where psychiatry is getting to be moderately competitive to match into, its still pretty easy in the UK! Just last week on twitter it was trending in the UK, #choosepsychiatry . I read somewhere that funding is going to be increased to medical schools that produce more psychiatrists, providing an incentive.

Speak directly to people involved in "Foundation Training Programs". That is equivalent to "intern years/preliminary years" in the U.S. You do 2 years of foundation training, and then 6 years of core psychiatry training (so a 2nd round of application). Total of 8 years before you are attending ("consultant").

But also, what about Australia? I've heard they are short on docs in the smaller cities, and I think relatively easier to get into a training program compared to European countries I think. You could also look into applying for training there? And if you want research I'm sure you can find something in a big centre like Sydney, Melbourne. And I know Univ. of Queensland (Brisbane) take a lot of international students. And New Zealand is even easier, so look into that as well.

Good luck with your endeavors. Whatever you do, don't give up. The more you put yourself out there, the greater the chance your luck will turn around :).

I don't have the info of all of the English speaking countries' but the ones I know have USMLE-like exams and I am too drained to start from the scratch. The other thing which holds me is that I wanna return to the US sooner or later. It is terrifying for me to start all over in a country I have no clue and no one I know, doing all exams, etc. It is even harder when one is a female and broke.

I am thinking, finding a research position or Ph.D. positions could be easier, but in reality, they are also really hard to get into. I regret that I have no publications to make it easier to get into Ph.D./Research. But I will keep on fighting like I am doing for the last eight months when I applied hundreds of jobs in tons of countries. Hope to put all these hard days behind me. Sorry, this post is kinda depressing:) Good luck everyone in match!

I don't have the info of all of the English speaking countries' but the ones I know have USMLE-like exams and I am too drained to start from the scratch. The other thing which holds me is that I wanna return to the US sooner or later. It is terrifying for me to start all over in a country I have no clue and no one I know, doing all exams, etc. It is even harder when one is a female and broke.

I am thinking, finding a research position or Ph.D. positions could be easier, but in reality, they are also really hard to get into. I regret that I have no publications to make it easier to get into Ph.D./Research. But I will keep on fighting like I am doing for the last eight months when I applied hundreds of jobs in tons of countries. Hope to put all these hard days behind me. Sorry, this post is kinda depressing:) Good luck everyone in match!

Well I know the UK uses "PLAB" exam, which is like USMLE. What I'm not sure of is how open they are to Non-EU grads..that I would inquire. Yes, doing more exams sounds daunting, but you seem extremely motivated and dedicated. And if you have done well on USMLEs, I don't think you should have too much trouble with PLAB. I would just look more into the red-tape side of things with UK.

I'm not even sure if Australia has any licensing exams? You should also look into it. I know Canada is very restrictive, so I would avoid that avenue.

By your determination, I find it hard to believe you will find it difficult to get a research position in Europe/Australia, especially with your research experience in the U.S. And when you do get a research position, make sure to publish as much as you can, that will be your ticket to come to the U.S later on in your career...

I am sorry this is happening to you. There is nothing right or fair about it.
Thank you so much for your supportive words! There are so many people who are in the position as me or worse. I heard so many accepted into residency but couldn't get a visa bcz of the restrictions.

If you're willing to learn a new language, Germany is one of the best and easiest options. They are quite willing to take foreign doctors due to severe shortage and they also have multiple reputable academic institutions.

Reactions: 1 users
Well I know the UK uses "PLAB" exam, which is like USMLE. What I'm not sure of is how open they are to Non-EU grads..that I would inquire. Yes, doing more exams sounds daunting, but you seem extremely motivated and dedicated. And if you have done well on USMLEs, I don't think you should have too much trouble with PLAB. I would just look more into the red-tape side of things with UK.

I'm not even sure if Australia has any licensing exams? You should also look into it. I know Canada is very restrictive, so I would avoid that avenue.

By your determination, I find it hard to believe you will find it difficult to get a research position in Europe/Australia, especially with your research experience in the U.S. And when you do get a research position, make sure to publish as much as you can, that will be your ticket to come to the U.S later on in your career...

Well, your words really enhanced my determination:) I appreciate!

If you're willing to learn a new language, Germany is one of the best and easiest options. They are quite willing to take foreign doctors due to severe shortage and they also have multiple reputable academic institutions.
I don't plan live there for good but in terms of neuroscience Ph.D., LMU and MPI are on my radar:) They are such jaw-dropper institutions and being able to get into there would be pretty cool. They are extremely competitive, though.

I have some friends who are in the same boat... Hope you can find some helpful advice from here!

Hi all,

I am a doctor from China with a few years of clinical experience and I would like to ask about working situation in Anaesthesia in Germany.
I would like to ask if there are any small towns / places that you would recommend to work in to be good for training in anaesthesia.
May I also ask what are the reputable institutions that I can apply?

Thank you very much for all your help!!