My DAT and study tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

voltagestock

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Today, August 22, 2003 I took the DAT for the first time and I recieved the followinf scores

a.a. 19
PAT 20
QR 16 OOOOOOuuuuuuchhh +pissed+
Comp 19
Bio 20
Chem 21
Org 20
Total sci 20

The best piece of advice that I can give to those who are studying is don't get yourself worked up and calm down. If you are taking Kaplan...great. Study all the subject tests and review the explanations for each question. Understand why each answer is wrong or right. NEXT, Memorize that Kaplan DAT book. It is great and every thing is in there. If you know that entire book I promise you will get 20s. For Reading comp just practice old Dat Tests and find the best method that works for you. For quant reasoning....I dont understand, it was cake, the easiest section and I blew it. Its basic math; add, subtract, multiply, and divide. Lastly, go over a few full length exams on and off the computer. By the way.....THE REAL TEST IS EASIER THAN KAPLAN, TOPSCORE, AND BARRONS......MUCH EASIER. If you are scoring 17s you are ready!!!!!!!!!! Dont be shy to ask any questions, I will respond promptly. Good luck guys and you all have been so much help to me.:)

Members don't see this ad.

I have asked several others this question and everyone has been awesome with their replies, so I though I would ask your take on this question: How did you memorize the Kaplan book? Did you reread it? Did you make flash cards? What was your technique? And how long did it take you to memorize the Kaplan book?
Thanks for helping us out voltagestock.

Congraduations. You score is really good.
I am going to take DAT tomorrow. After reading the previous posts, I start worrying about PAT. You scored well. Could you talk about your experience in PAT? Also, did you meet any question that did not appear in Kaplan book or Kaplan tests? Thanks for all you information.

Members don't see this ad :)
what were your thoughts on the PAT part? I recently took it and got a 17, even though i thought the test was not that hard. It was totally unexpected.

Originally posted by voltagestock

By the way.....THE REAL TEST IS EASIER THAN KAPLAN, TOPSCORE, AND BARRONS......MUCH EASIER. If you are scoring 17s you are ready!!!!!!!!!! Dont be shy to ask any questions, I will respond promptly. Good luck guys and you all have been so much help to me.:)

voltageshock,
you said kaplan, topscore, barron's was much easier than the actual test. what were u scoring on topscore and kaplan practice tests? thanks for your help.

voltageshock,
did you think the math on the actual DAT was easier than Kaplan's math? i've been doing the kaplan math subject tests and i've found the math to be kinda tricky. also, what method did you use for the reading comp? thanks for your help!

HSO---
Kaplan's math is much more of a challenge. in the actual DAT test the math is very simple, i just blacked out at the end of the test. Keep up with the kaplan math and if you are scoring a 17 you will probably end up with a 19 or 20 on test day......THE REAL DAT IS EASIER THAN KAPLAN, BARRONS, AND TOP SCORE!!!! what i mean by this is KAPLAN IS MUCH HARDER THAN THE REAL DAT.
in kaplan i was scoring 18s on average in all the sections.

Sloppyjoe and girrtilin----
The Pat is exactly like kaplan, except cube counting is easier on the actual test...angle ranking is the same, except the resolution on the comp. sucks....top front end view was much easier than kaplan....pattern folding was much easier than kaplan...hole punching, was str8 out of the kaplan test, the exact same questions from kaplan...keyholes may have been a little more difficult but not by much.

Memorizing the book....read one chapter at a time and dont go on until you have memorized the previous chapter...or you can read through the book vigorously 4 times trying to absorb, there after reading the entire book becomes much faster b/c you already know what is in each chapter. write out questions/answers on a piece of paper or note cards and memorize that

NOTE TO ALL--PASIVE READING GETS YOU NO WHERE, YOU MIGHT AS WELL NOT STUDY AT ALL. READ TO MEMORIZE.

sorry guys i got to run but keep asking away..resubmit any questions already asked